Top Sports stories
The Georgia Southwestern men also earn an at-large bid
The Albany State Lady Rams received one of 42 at-large bids for the NCAA Division II Tournament and were awarded the No. 5 seed in the South Region at Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., where they will face No. 4 Delta State in Friday’s opening round at 7:30 p.m. (ADDS: GSW earns No. 6 seed)
Lady Cavs improve to 10-0 at home
The Darton softball team bounced back from four losses over the weekend with a two-game sweep of rival ABAC. (ADDS: ASU softball sweeps Brewton-Parker)
Braves pitchers Alex Wood and Freddy Garcia are competing for the final spot in Atlanta’s rotation.
After jumping all over RTCA in first, Crisp rolls to easy win
The Lady Wildcats will chase their fourth straight state championship today after destroying Robert Toombs in Friday’s GISA Class A state semifinals.
Lady Rams beat Clark Atlanta, 70-58
After falling behind by seven points in the second half, the Lady Rams storm back to clinch a spot in today’s SIAC championship game. (ADDS: Albany State men eliminated, Georgia Southwestern men advance in conference tournaments)
Lady Wildcats advance to GISA Class AA championship game
The defending Class AA state champion Westwood girls are back in the title game for a fourth straight season after beating Arlington Christian by three points in Friday’s semifinals.
The Bulldogs are in sole possession of third place in the SEC standings, but they could dip all the way to fifth with a loss Saturday against LSU.
The Lady Red Devils win their first girls state championship since 2000
Brandi Buie scores a game-high 19 points and leads the Randolph-Clay girls to a dominating victory against rival Mitchell County in Thursday’s Class A championship game.
The Lady Eagles lose for the fourth time this season to Randolph-Clay
Thursday’s loss to Randolph-Clay in the Class A state title game was devastating for a Mitchell County team that was looking for the first girls basketball state championship in school history.
After falling in the state championship game last season, Randolph-Clay coach Jennifer Acree said winning this year’s title is sweet
Randolph-Clay coach Jennifer Acree celebrates her first state title by claiming she will drink sweet tea from the championship trophy.
Wilkinson County holds on for 72-64 victory
Turner County nearly erases an 11-point fourth-quarter deficit in Thursday’s Class A boys state championship game but falls to Wilkinson County, 72-64.
Mitchell County is 0-3 against Randolph-Clay this season
The Lady Eagles seek to become the first girls basketball team at Mitchell County to win a state championship.
The Lady Red Devils are looking to go 4-0 against Mitchell County this season
After losing to Gordon Lee in last year’s state championship game, the Randolph-Clay girls have a second chance today against familiar rival Mitchell County.
The Wildcats were outscored 43-27 in the second half
The Crisp Academy boys were enjoying their best season in years, but the postseason run ended Wednesday with a loss to Oak Mountain in the GISA Class A state semifinals.
After getting swept by Claflin in the regular season, the Albany State women’s basketball team took care of business in Wednesday’s SIAC quarterfinals with a 68-55 victory over the Lady Panthers. (ADDS: ASU men win opener, too)
Gelfand was Sherwood’s fifth coach in five years
Sherwood boys basketball Bryan Gelfand was suspended two weeks ago for using inappropriate language as he walked off the court following a game, and on Wednesday the school parted ways with him for good.
Coaches expect free throws, turnovers and rebounds to be big in championship game
The Randolph-Clay and Mitchell County girls basketball teams will meet for the fourth time this year in Thursday’s state title game, and head coaches Jennifer Acree and Rosemary Sanders are focusing on the details as they prepare for the matchup.
- Deerfield baseball opens season with shutout of TAE
- Crisp County’s Tyler named SEC Freshman of the Week
- Crisp Academy dominates on way to state title
- Westwood girls repeat as GISA Class AA champs
- Crisp Academy girls cruise into GISA Class A finals
- Westwood girls hold on, top Arlington Christian in state semis
- CHAMPS!!!: Randolph-Clay girls dominate Mitchell County for state title
- Mitchell County's 'special season' ends in heartbreak
- STATE CHAMPIONSHIP NOTEBOOK: Randolph-Clay coach Acree drinks sweet tea from championship cup
- Turner County’s comeback falls just short in boys Class A title game
- Braves’ Carpenter puts Uribe homer behind him
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Wood driven by competition and skeptics
- Former Brave Hudson turns to next chapter of his career
- Hawks' defensive struggles early prove costly
- Graham grateful to be back on mound for Braves
- After elbow surgeries, Braves’ Beachy feels good
- Hawks have needs as trade deadline approaches
- Hawks' Millsap has proved himself an All-Star
- City of Albany terminates lease with Panthers (UPDATED: 7:50 p.m.)
- Braves re-sign Freeman, Heyward
- Lady Rams earn No. 5 seed in NCAA Division II Tournament
- Darton sweeps ABAC in home doubleheader
- Crisp County’s Tyler named SEC Freshman of the Week
- Legendary ASU football coach Hamp Smith: Hall of Fame induction is an honor
- LOCAL COLLEGE ROUNDUP: South Georgia Tech men win Region XVII title
- Lady Rams denied SIAC title with OT loss
- Darton diver Crawford Berry wins another NJCAA title
- LOCAL COLLEGE HOOPS ROUNDUP: Albany State women advance to SIAC title game
- Lady Rams advance to conference quarterfinals
- Darton State College divers set to defend national titles