Top Sports stories
Representatives made case this week
Dougherty County School Board Attorney Tommy Coleman and representatives from Albany, Dougherty and Worth County High Schools asked the GHSA to reconsider its classification for the three schools for the 2014-16 school seasons.
Seahawks wide receiver Ricardo Lockette, an Albany native, called 911 twice after a woman refused to leave his apartment where she was hanging out with Lockette and 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick on April 2.
Bubba Watson’s Masters victory was sentimental
Herald guest columnist Loran Smith writes about Bubba Watson’s second Masters championship.
Braves pitcher stays hot
Ervin Santana struck out a career-high-tying 11 through six innings of one-run ball before leaving with a 2-1 lead Monday against the Phillies.
Freddie Freeman and Justin Upton homered early to spark Atlanta to a 10-2 win over the Washington Nationals on Sunday.
Watson gets second Masters with Sunday surge
Bubba Watson pulls away for his second Masters championship
Rory McIlroy ended a frustrating Masters on a high with his best round of the tournament on Sunday to record his first top 10 finish at Augusta National.
The Rams finished a three-game sweep of Paine with a 6-2 victory on Sunday to close their SIAC regular-season schedule a perfect 20-0.
The performances of the golden oldies at this week’s Masters have proved the 50-plus brigade can mix it with the young powerhouses of world golf, Bernhard Langer said after finishing in the top 10.
Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez acknowledged only 10 games into the season he’s still trying to find a comfort zone with how to use the new pieces in his bullpen.
Atlanta’s offense has been alarmingly unproductive and some of the same problems that plagued the lineup a year ago have carried over.
Kevin Ware was a key member of the 2012-13 Louisville team that won the national championship at the Georgia Dome. However, he sustained a broken right leg during that tournament, a gruesome injury that caused him to miss the final few games.
Rory McIlroy’s miserable run at the Masters continued on Saturday when he was beaten by a noncompeting amateur in the third round at Augusta National.
Bubba Watson is looking for his second Masters championship, while 20-year-old Jordan Spieth is trying to become the youngest winner at Augusta National.
Herald guest columnist Loran Smith writes about Fuzzy Zoeller’s 1979 championship at the Masters.
Former Georgia Tech star Matt Kuchar is one shot back of the lead heading into today’s final round after a dazzling performance Saturday.
Darton softball sweeps past Georgia Perimeter
Albany State (27-15, 19-0 SIAC) will go for its 20th conference victory this afternoon when they meet Paine in the SIAC baseball finale at 1 p.m.
Cavaliers sweep past Andrew College
Darton edged the Tigers by the narrowest of margins, 1-0, in Game 1. Then the Cavaliers let their bats do the talking in Game 2, winning 9-3.
OUTDOORS: Cricket tube sighting strips mythology from trout fishing
I never fish for trout without crickets, at least in a back-up role. I’ll put a live bug on a hand-tied dry fly in a heartbeat. Heck, when I’m really fish hungry I’ll shun flies altogether and fish crickets “nekkid.” I have no shame.
- Deerfield-Windsor track & field teams roll to region titles
- Three SW Georgia schools ask GHSA to reconsider classification
- Glover’s big game leads Deerfield past Southland
- Monroe girls, Westover boys take Westover Relays
- O'Neal leading Patriots into Westover Relays
- PREP NOTEBOOK: Miller County's Killingsworth ponders next move after resignation
- Worth County maintains pace, tops Monroe
- Lee County's Chavarria leads by example
- Former Lee standout Burdette inducted into CSU Hall of Fame
- Crisp County baseball eager to pick up where last season's team left off
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Johnson back in lineup, moved to seventh spot
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Pitcher Santana making the most of his opportunity
- Autopsy reveals cause of death of Ultimate Warrior
- Koonin to become part-owner, CEO of Hawks
- Simple approach pays off for J. Upton
- Braves sweep Nationals with 10-2 victory
- Braves’ bullpen experiencing growing pains
- Braves believe offense will improve
- Watson seizes control in second round of Masters
- Young's four runs spark Mets past Braves
- Cavs win district title, punch ticket to nationals
- Darton golf close to 13th straight nationals berth
- Albany State baseball finishes SIAC slate unbeaten
- Ware will transfer to Georgia State
- LOCAL COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Albany State baseball sweeps Paine
- Darton wins 13th straight of season
- Former Southwest Georgia prep stars leading Albany State baseball
- COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton softball returns from break, sweeps South Georgia
- Amtmann's surprise start keys Darton's win
- BRIEFS: Albany State baseball rallies to beat Valdosta State