Top Sports stories
It was all Terrell County Thursday in Camilla, where the Greenwave boys and girls track & field teams blew away the competition for Region 1-A championships. (ADDS: Complete team and individual results)
Darton State improves to 32-13 overall and 22-4 in the region
Darton wins its 15th straight game and moves within a game of the school record for consecutive victories with a 12-4 rout of ABAC.
The Braves and Phillies combined for just nine hits Thursday, and Philadelphia finally broke the 0-0 tie in the eighth inning for the game's only run.
Bubba Watson is looking for his second Masters championship, while 20-year-old Jordan Spieth is trying to become the youngest winner at Augusta National.
Herald guest columnist Loran Smith writes about Fuzzy Zoeller’s 1979 championship at the Masters.
Former Georgia Tech star Matt Kuchar is one shot back of the lead heading into today’s final round after a dazzling performance Saturday.
Darton softball sweeps past Georgia Perimeter
Albany State (27-15, 19-0 SIAC) will go for its 20th conference victory this afternoon when they meet Paine in the SIAC baseball finale at 1 p.m.
Cavaliers sweep past Andrew College
Darton edged the Tigers by the narrowest of margins, 1-0, in Game 1. Then the Cavaliers let their bats do the talking in Game 2, winning 9-3.
OUTDOORS: Cricket tube sighting strips mythology from trout fishing
I never fish for trout without crickets, at least in a back-up role. I’ll put a live bug on a hand-tied dry fly in a heartbeat. Heck, when I’m really fish hungry I’ll shun flies altogether and fish crickets “nekkid.” I have no shame.
FISHING REPORT: Heavy rain and murky water cloud the forecast
Weekly fihsing reports for Southwest Georgia lakes and the Flint River.
Bubba Watson had a great day at Augusta National, but other past champions, including Phil Mickelson, didn’t fare as well on Friday
ASU has players from Westover, Worth County, Randolph Southern, Terrell Academy and Crisp County
Albany State baseball coach Kenyan Conner made it a point to search out local talent, and it’s paid off for the Rams, who are being led by a group of former Southwest Georgia high school stars.
Through the first seven races, seven different winners have celebrated in Victory Lane, however, none of them are named Jimmie Johnson or Matt Kenseth, who will be looking to take home a checkered flag tonight at Darlington Raceway.
San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick and Seahawks wide reciever Ricardo Lockette, an Albany native, respond to reports about Miami police investigating the NFL players.
Dan Jenkins, the celebrated writer with a word processor every bit as gifted as Bobby Jones once described O. B. Keeler’s typewriter, would scoff at the notion of iconic status, but the recurring interview requests this week refute any and all of his disclaimers.
Knights beat Southland, 11-1, in five innings
Deerfield’s Justin Glover hits two homers in the third inning and is sharp on the mound to lead the Knights past Southland on Friday.
Monroe girls win easily, Westover boys surge late
The Lady Tornadoes were in firm control Friday night at the Westover Relays, running away with an easy victory, while the Westover boys pulled away late.
Mets left fielder Eric Young, who entered Thursday's game against Atlanta hitting just .154, had three hits, including a triple, stole three bases and scored four times as the Mets defeated the Braves 6-4 to take the three-game series at Turner Field.
- Terrell County runs away with Region 1-A track & field titles
- Westover sweeps Region 1-AAAA meet; Bainbridge boys take 1-AAAAA title
- Deerfield-Windsor track & field teams roll to region titles
- Three SW Georgia schools ask GHSA to reconsider classification
- Glover’s big game leads Deerfield past Southland
- Monroe girls, Westover boys take Westover Relays
- O'Neal leading Patriots into Westover Relays
- PREP NOTEBOOK: Miller County's Killingsworth ponders next move after resignation
- Worth County maintains pace, tops Monroe
- Lee County's Chavarria leads by example
- Phillies' Burnett outduels Braves' Wood for 1-0 victory
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Johnson back in lineup, moved to seventh spot
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Pitcher Santana making the most of his opportunity
- Autopsy reveals cause of death of Ultimate Warrior
- Koonin to become part-owner, CEO of Hawks
- Simple approach pays off for J. Upton
- Braves sweep Nationals with 10-2 victory
- Braves’ bullpen experiencing growing pains
- Braves believe offense will improve
- Watson seizes control in second round of Masters
- Darton baseball crushes ABAC for 15th straight win
- COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton baseball, softball keep winning streaks alive
- Cavs win district title, punch ticket to nationals
- Darton golf close to 13th straight nationals berth
- Albany State baseball finishes SIAC slate unbeaten
- Ware will transfer to Georgia State
- LOCAL COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Albany State baseball sweeps Paine
- Darton wins 13th straight of season
- Former Southwest Georgia prep stars leading Albany State baseball
- COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton softball returns from break, sweeps South Georgia