Top Sports stories
After missing the state tournament last year, Calhoun County’s boys are hungry for a trip.
Worth County's Anfernee McLemore and Randolph-Clay's Brandi Buie are The Herald's Players of the Week. (ADDS: Quote of the week; games of the week; weekly schedule)
Few athletes anywhere have been more well-rounded than Aaron Murray, the Bulldogs’ gallant, gutsy and accomplished quarterback.
Collisions at home plate will be eliminated in the major leagues as soon as next season and no later than 2015, the rules committee announced Wednesday at the Winter Meetings.
Despite the tough times this season for the Atlanta Falcons, defensive lineman Osi Umenyiora wants to return next season.
Each of the three major recruiting services have the Tigers’ recruiting haul ranked among the top 10 classes in the country.
Westwood Lady Wildcats upset Crisp Academy in Cordele
Westwood, the defending GISA Class AA state champs, hadn’t beaten powerhouse Crisp Academy in coach Jenni Smith’s seven years as head coach, but on Friday Westwood snapped that streak with a 42-39 victory. (ADDS: Results from Seminole boys, Deerfield-Windsor girls, Sherwood boys and girls, Bainbridge boys, Worth County boys and Lee County girls)
Westover's boys, girls hoops teams sweep Terrell County
The Westover boys basketball team rode a big second quarter run to an easy 91-52 victory Saturday night at home against the Terrell County Greenwave.
The Herald previews girls basketball teams from Deerfield-Windsor, Southland, Sherwood Christian, Southwest Georgia Academy, Terrell Academy, Westwood and Crisp Academy.
The Herald previews boys basketball teams from Deerfield-Windsor, Southland, Sherwood Christian, Southwest Georgia Academy, Terrell Academy, Westwood and Crisp Academy.
The Herald previews girls basketball teams from Bainbridge, Lee County, Americus-Sumter, Crisp County, Dougherty, Monroe, Albany High, Terrell County, Westover, Worth County, Early County, Pelham, Baker County, Calhoun County, Miller County, Mitchell County, Randolph-Clay and Seminole County.
The Herald previews boys basketball teams from Bainbridge, Lee County, Americus-Sumter, Crisp County, Dougherty, Monroe, Albany High, Terrell County, Westover, Worth County, Early County, Pelham, Baker County, Calhoun County, Miller County, Mitchell County, Randolph-Clay and Seminole County.
No Dougherty County basketball team has won a state title since Dougherty, Westover in 2001
It’s been more than a decade since a boys team has won a state title, while girls teams haven’t captured a championship since the 1950s.
The Westover girls basketball team stayed undefeated Friday with a thrilling double-overtime victory against Tift County. (ADDS: Randolph-Clay; Worth County vs. Americus-Sumter; Calhoun County vs. Mitchell County; Byne Christian)
While the Dougherty girls got an easy win early Friday against Cairo, the Dougherty boys team came up short in overtime, 56-54.
Crisp County's Javoris Cooks puts an end to a back-and-forth game against Monroe on Friday night with a game-winning shot in overtime. (ADDS: Monroe girls beat Crisp)
Surprise SEC title matchup features Auburn, Missouri
The final weekend of the SEC’s regular-season produced one of the most unlikely match-ups for the conference title game since the league split into two divisions in 1992.
Darton State Soccer players earn national honors
Darton’s Darwin Espinal, Alejandro Garcia, Lyana Perez and Janay Campbell are named to the NJCAA All-America team.
Top-ranked Florida State is a 29-point favorite tonight when they take on Duke for the ACC championship.
The coaching tree that produced Gus Malzahn is so unlike the ones that typically yield the famous figureheads of southern college football.
Robert Alford leads the Falcons in interceptions (two) and total takeaways (three) and ranks second in passes defended (seven)
- HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL: Herald 'Prep Peek'
- Okinawa native Rue Maeda has been a perfect fit for the Sherwood Christian girls
- Principal: Donald Poole removed as Dougherty AD for playing ineligible players
- McLemore leads No. 4 Worth past No. 5 Albany
- Crisp stuns Herald No. 1 Westover in OT
- TUESDAY'S PREP BASKETBALL ROUNDUP: Crisp girls beat No. 3 Westover in overtime
- Southwest Georgia coach/administrator Graham Lowe book-signing guest
- Donald Poole removed as AD at Dougherty
- PREP BASKETBALL ROUNDUP: Westwood girls beat Crisp in battle of state champs
- PREP HOOPS PREVIEW: GISA girls preview capsules
- Falcons’ Umenyiora wants to return in 2014
- Falcons’ youth movement leaves Samuel on bench
- Braves GM doesn’t expect ‘frontline’ trade
- Packers rally to beat Falcons without Rodgers
- PREVIEW: Falcons prepare for Rodgers-less Packers
- Daring rookie Alford getting turnovers for Falcons
- Hawks begin important homestand
- Falcons preparing for Packers QB Rodgers
- Falcons hope to take battling spirit to Green Bay
- Forced fumbles help Falcons fly by Bills in overtime
- Auburn’s remarkable season helping the recruiting trail
- Lady Rams plagued by poor shooting in loss
- Quiondra Darrisaw leads Albany Tech women past Darton State
- FSU’s Wiston heads list of six Heisman finalists
- Georgia Tech to face Ole Miss in bowl
- Bulldogs headed back to Jacksonville for bowl game
- Auburn and Florida State to play in final BCS title game
- Auburn runs past Missouri in SEC title game
- LOCAL COLLEGE HOOPS ROUNDUP: ASU men split weekend basketball games
- Westover boys, girls rout Terrell County