Top Sports stories
Poole had served as Dougherty AD for 11 years
Dougherty High principle Robert McIntosh tells The Herald that Donald Poole was removed as athletic director late last week after “legitimate issues” involving the Dougherty athletic department.
In an early-season Fab 5 matchup, Worth County gets the best of Albany High behind Anfrenee McLemore’s 22 points. (ADDS: Worth County girls 49, Albany High 41)
On a night full of upsets around Southwest Georgia, Crisp County’s stood above them all with a 68-66 win against Herald No. 1 Westover late Tuesday.
The Herald No. 3 Westover Lady Patriots suffered their first loss of the season, while the Seminole County boys won Fab 5 showdown with Region 1-A rival Randolph-Clay. (ADDS: Deerfield-Windsor boys, girls; Westwood girls; Byne Christian girls; Terrell Academy boys, girls; Bainbridge boys; Randolph-Clay girls; Seminole girls)
Atlanta’s Asante Samuel was replaced in the starting lineup by rookie Robert Alford on Sunday at Green Bay and didn’t play a snap for the first time this season when healthy.
While Braves fans anxiously await news from the Winter Meetings and many hope general manager Frank Wren will trade for a top-of-the-rotation starter or a slugger, he indicated Monday if a move were made, it would likely be something more modest.
Surprise SEC title matchup features Auburn, Missouri
The final weekend of the SEC’s regular-season produced one of the most unlikely match-ups for the conference title game since the league split into two divisions in 1992.
Darton State Soccer players earn national honors
Darton’s Darwin Espinal, Alejandro Garcia, Lyana Perez and Janay Campbell are named to the NJCAA All-America team.
Top-ranked Florida State is a 29-point favorite tonight when they take on Duke for the ACC championship.
The coaching tree that produced Gus Malzahn is so unlike the ones that typically yield the famous figureheads of southern college football.
Robert Alford leads the Falcons in interceptions (two) and total takeaways (three) and ranks second in passes defended (seven)
Georgia athletic director Greg McGarity talks about a drama-filled football season, filled with great triumphs, bitter defeats, bizarre twists and way more injuries than normal.
FSU’s Winston not charged with sexual assault
Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston, considered the front runner for college football’s prestigious Heisman Trophy, will not be charged with sexual assault in a case that had put a cloud over his season.
Trent Thompson leaning toward Bulldogs
Thursday’s visit from Georgia coach Mark Richt was just another reminder of how coveted five-star junior defensive tackle Trent Thompson is becoming among the top schools in the country.
Atlanta's Kyle Korver tied an NBA record while ensuring the Los Angeles Clippers' seven-game road trip got off to a bad start.
The Albany State men's basketball team blew a 15-point lead and watched as Carver’s Derek Douglas hit a go-ahead 3-pointer with 9.4 seconds left as the Cougars stunned the Rams.
Wednesday’s game against the Clippers is the start of a season-long four-game homestand and part of seven of eight games at Philips Arena for the Atlanta Hawks.
The Falcons are preparing for Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who’s missed the past five games with a fractured collarbone.
The Auburn Tigers have allowed an average of 22.5 points and 414.2 yards per game, compared with the averages of 28.3 points and 420.5 points per game allowed last season.
Dougherty's Amber Ward breaks a tie game with 11 seconds left with a 3-pointer to give the Lady Trojans a Region 1-AAAA win against Crisp County. (ADDS: Westover-Americus-Sumter girls; Randolph-Clay boys, girls; Lee County girls; Sherwood boys, girls; Crisp Academy girls)
The Knights jump ahead early on Glenwood (Ala.) Academy and win their season opener, 78-58. (ADDS: Deerfield-Windsor girls lose in home opener)
- McLemore leads No. 4 Worth past No. 5 Albany
- Crisp stuns Herald No. 1 Westover in OT
- TUESDAY'S PREP BASKETBALL ROUNDUP: Crisp girls beat No. 3 Westover in overtime
- Southwest Georgia coach/administrator Graham Lowe book-signing guest
- Donald Poole removed as AD at Dougherty
- PREP BASKETBALL ROUNDUP: Westwood girls beat Crisp in battle of state champs
- PREP HOOPS PREVIEW: GISA girls preview capsules
- PREP HOOPS PREVIEW: GISA boys preview capsules
- PREP HOOPS PREVIEW: GHSA girls preview capsules
- PREP HOOPS PREVIEW: GHSA boys preview capsules
- Falcons’ youth movement leaves Samuel on bench
- Braves GM doesn’t expect ‘frontline’ trade
- Packers rally to beat Falcons without Rodgers
- PREVIEW: Falcons prepare for Rodgers-less Packers
- Daring rookie Alford getting turnovers for Falcons
- Hawks begin important homestand
- Falcons preparing for Packers QB Rodgers
- Falcons hope to take battling spirit to Green Bay
- Forced fumbles help Falcons fly by Bills in overtime
- PREVIEW: Falcons looking to snap five-game skid
- FSU’s Wiston heads list of six Heisman finalists
- Georgia Tech to face Ole Miss in bowl
- Bulldogs headed back to Jacksonville for bowl game
- Auburn and Florida State to play in final BCS title game
- Auburn runs past Missouri in SEC title game
- LOCAL COLLEGE HOOPS ROUNDUP: ASU men split weekend basketball games
- Westover boys, girls rout Terrell County
- PREVIEW: Surprise SEC title matchup features Auburn, Missouri
- Four Darton soccer players named All-Americans
- Auburn coach Malzahn took backroads to Atlanta