Top Sports stories
The boys and girls soccer teams from both Deerfield and Sherwood advance to the Elite 8
For the second straight year, the Deerfield boys and girls soccer teams swept through the opening round of the playoffs Tuesday with a pair of dominating wins, while Sherwood’s soccer teams also move on with two shutout victories.
Jose Fernandez pitched eight shutout innings to help Miami to a 1-0 win over the Atlanta Braves on Tuesday night and give the Marlins their first road victory of the season.
Varvaro lighting up radar gun
Braves relief pitcher Anthony Varvaro had a 9.82 ERA in 10 spring training outings, but the right-hander has a 2.08 ERA so far this season and has been one of Atlanta’s most reliable arms out of the bullpen.
The Pacers outscore the Hawks 31-13 in the third quarter to pull away and even the opening-round series at 1-1.
Braves pitcher stays hot
Ervin Santana struck out a career-high-tying 11 through six innings of one-run ball before leaving with a 2-1 lead Monday against the Phillies.
Seahawks wide receiver Ricardo Lockette, an Albany native, called 911 twice after a woman refused to leave his apartment where she was hanging out with Lockette and 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick on April 2.
Bubba Watson’s Masters victory was sentimental
Herald guest columnist Loran Smith writes about Bubba Watson’s second Masters championship.
Darton State College shoots a 305 in Tuesday’s final round
Darton comes from behind in Tuesday’s final round of the District IV tournament to win the title and secure a 13th straight trip to nationals.
Representatives made case this week
Dougherty County School Board Attorney Tommy Coleman and representatives from Albany, Dougherty and Worth County High Schools asked the GHSA to reconsider its classification for the three schools for the 2014-16 school seasons.
The 54-year-old wrestler, James Hellwig, collapsed on April 8 outside a hotel in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Authorities detonate a suspicious device this morning
Three people were killed and 264 injured in the bombing at the 2013 Boston Marathon. This year's race will be conducted Monday.
Cavs are one shot behind leader in district championship
The Darton State College golf team overcame a shaky start to the NJCAA District IV championship at Stonebridge Golf and Country Club on Monday and moved into position to clinch a berth in the national tournament.
Steve Koonin will oversee all business, financial and strategic operations of the Hawks and Philips Arena. He will also acquire an equity position within the ownership group, and represent the owners as the head of the organization.
Justin Upton raised his early season batting average from .265 to .366 in three days.
Michael Phelps, the most decorated Olympian of all time, is coming out of retirement.
Jordan Spieth took charge early in Sunday’s final round at Augusta National in his pursuit to become the youngest Masters champion, but the 20-year-old saw his two-shot lead evaporate in an instant.
Freddie Freeman and Justin Upton homered early to spark Atlanta to a 10-2 win over the Washington Nationals on Sunday.
Watson gets second Masters with Sunday surge
Bubba Watson pulls away for his second Masters championship
Rory McIlroy ended a frustrating Masters on a high with his best round of the tournament on Sunday to record his first top 10 finish at Augusta National.
- GISA STATE SOCCER TOURNAMENT: Deerfield, Sherwood teams advance to quarterfinals
- Dougherty to name former Harlem Globetrotter Randolph as hoops coach
- Four Lee County standouts sign college scholarships
- Terrell County runs away with Region 1-A track & field titles
- Westover sweeps Region 1-AAAA meet; Bainbridge boys take 1-AAAAA title
- Deerfield-Windsor track & field teams roll to region titles
- Three SW Georgia schools ask GHSA to reconsider classification
- Glover’s big game leads Deerfield past Southland
- Monroe girls, Westover boys take Westover Relays
- O'Neal leading Patriots into Westover Relays
- Pacers rally, even series with Hawks
- Braves manage three hits in 1-0 loss to Marlins
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Varvaro lighting up radar gun
- Former NFL wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson arrested
- Braves Minor set to return
- Braves fall to Mets in 14 innings
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Harang emerging as essential pitcher for Atlanta
- Phillies' Burnett outduels Braves' Wood for 1-0 victory
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Johnson back in lineup, moved to seventh spot
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Pitcher Santana making the most of his opportunity
- Lady Cavs sweep Andrew, finish season undefeated at home
- Darton softball sweeps Middle Georgia
- Lady Rams settle for No. 2 seed
- Darton baseball sets school record with 17th straight win
- Darton baseball crushes ABAC for 15th straight win
- COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton baseball, softball keep winning streaks alive
- Cavs win district title, punch ticket to nationals
- Darton golf close to 13th straight nationals berth
- Albany State baseball finishes SIAC slate unbeaten
- Ware will transfer to Georgia State