Top Sports stories
Cavs have won 14 straight, Lady Cavs have won 12 in a row
The Darton baseball and softball teams, who are both ranked in the Top 20 in the NJCAA, extended double-digit winning streaks on Wednesday. (ADDS: Albany State baseball loses to Columus State, Albany State softball splits with Claflin)
Atlanta has landed a Major League Soccer expansion team that will play beginning in 2017 in the city’s new open-air stadium downtown.
Julio Teheran throws his first career shutout Wednesday to beat Philadelphia and extend the Braves' winning streak to five.
Braves hitting coach Greg Walker said he wanted Chris Johnson to “get the fight back between him and the pitcher” instead of fighting himself.
Cavaliers sweep past Andrew College
Darton edged the Tigers by the narrowest of margins, 1-0, in Game 1. Then the Cavaliers let their bats do the talking in Game 2, winning 9-3.
OUTDOORS: Cricket tube sighting strips mythology from trout fishing
I never fish for trout without crickets, at least in a back-up role. I’ll put a live bug on a hand-tied dry fly in a heartbeat. Heck, when I’m really fish hungry I’ll shun flies altogether and fish crickets “nekkid.” I have no shame.
FISHING REPORT: Heavy rain and murky water cloud the forecast
Weekly fihsing reports for Southwest Georgia lakes and the Flint River.
Bubba Watson had a great day at Augusta National, but other past champions, including Phil Mickelson, didn’t fare as well on Friday
ASU has players from Westover, Worth County, Randolph Southern, Terrell Academy and Crisp County
Albany State baseball coach Kenyan Conner made it a point to search out local talent, and it’s paid off for the Rams, who are being led by a group of former Southwest Georgia high school stars.
Through the first seven races, seven different winners have celebrated in Victory Lane, however, none of them are named Jimmie Johnson or Matt Kenseth, who will be looking to take home a checkered flag tonight at Darlington Raceway.
San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick and Seahawks wide reciever Ricardo Lockette, an Albany native, respond to reports about Miami police investigating the NFL players.
Dan Jenkins, the celebrated writer with a word processor every bit as gifted as Bobby Jones once described O. B. Keeler’s typewriter, would scoff at the notion of iconic status, but the recurring interview requests this week refute any and all of his disclaimers.
Knights beat Southland, 11-1, in five innings
Deerfield’s Justin Glover hits two homers in the third inning and is sharp on the mound to lead the Knights past Southland on Friday.
Monroe girls win easily, Westover boys surge late
The Lady Tornadoes were in firm control Friday night at the Westover Relays, running away with an easy victory, while the Westover boys pulled away late.
Mets left fielder Eric Young, who entered Thursday's game against Atlanta hitting just .154, had three hits, including a triple, stole three bases and scored four times as the Mets defeated the Braves 6-4 to take the three-game series at Turner Field.
Ricardo Lockette, Colin Kaepernick and Quinton Patton are being investigated
Albany native and former Monroe star Ricardo Lockette is one of three NFL players being investigated by Miami police for an incident that happened earlier this month. (ADDS: Full incident report .pdf)
Bill Haas’ 68 tops the leaderboard after the opening round of the 2014 Masters
O’Neal is one of Southwest Georgia’s top shot putters
Westover’s Chris O’Neal has consistently improved during his short career, and his success will make his Patriots one of the favorites on the boys side tonight as the Westover Relays begin at 4 p.m. at Hugh Mills Stadium.
Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player usher in the 2014 Masters
Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player started the 2014 Masters on Thursday with their annual morning drives from the No. 1 tee, and Herald guest columnist Loran Smith was there to soak in the atmosphere at Augusta National.
- Deerfield-Windsor track & field teams roll to region titles
- Three SW Georgia schools ask GHSA to reconsider classification
- Glover’s big game leads Deerfield past Southland
- Monroe girls, Westover boys take Westover Relays
- O'Neal leading Patriots into Westover Relays
- PREP NOTEBOOK: Miller County's Killingsworth ponders next move after resignation
- Worth County maintains pace, tops Monroe
- Lee County's Chavarria leads by example
- Former Lee standout Burdette inducted into CSU Hall of Fame
- Crisp County baseball eager to pick up where last season's team left off
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Johnson back in lineup, moved to seventh spot
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Pitcher Santana making the most of his opportunity
- Autopsy reveals cause of death of Ultimate Warrior
- Koonin to become part-owner, CEO of Hawks
- Simple approach pays off for J. Upton
- Braves sweep Nationals with 10-2 victory
- Braves’ bullpen experiencing growing pains
- Braves believe offense will improve
- Watson seizes control in second round of Masters
- Young's four runs spark Mets past Braves
- COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton baseball, softball keep winning streaks alive
- Cavs win district title, punch ticket to nationals
- Darton golf close to 13th straight nationals berth
- Albany State baseball finishes SIAC slate unbeaten
- Ware will transfer to Georgia State
- LOCAL COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Albany State baseball sweeps Paine
- Darton wins 13th straight of season
- Former Southwest Georgia prep stars leading Albany State baseball
- COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton softball returns from break, sweeps South Georgia
- Amtmann's surprise start keys Darton's win