Top Sports stories
After 25 years as the respected head coach of state power Lee County High School, longtime face of the Trojans baseball program, Rob Williams, is finally ready to pass the torch.
Former Lee County and current GSW golf star Nate Gahman struggles during the second round of NCAA nationals, but he’s still only four shots out of the Top 10.
Albany State basketball coach Chris Cameron has added to his list of youth basketball camps, which will begin as early as June 2, while the school also has a football camp and golf outing planned.
NFL NOTEBOOK: Falcons get $200M loan to build new stadium, sign tight end; San Fran gets 2016 Super Bowl
The Falcons' new stadium project is full-speed ahead after the owners approve a huge $200M loan Tuesday.
Golf's governing bodes announce that anchoring the club in making a stroke will be banned effective Jan. 1, 2016.
It was supposed to be the second coming of the "Bash Brothers" when siblings B.J. and Justin Upton were signed by the Braves this offseason, but so far Justin is the only one producing.
BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Star reliever Venters has second Tommy John surgery; B.J. Upton's slump hits rock bottom
One of the most promising arms in the Braves’ bullpen, Jonny Venters, suffers another possible career-ending setback Thursday.
Once a rising star on the Southwest Georgia golf scene, Josh Crews has overcome time away from the sport due to personal issues to return as good as ever, securing a golf scholarship with the College of Coastal Georgia on Thursday.
The Panthers have shed their three-game losing streak and look for two wins in a row when they next hit the road to play in Pennsylvania.
The Terrell Academy baseball team is in the midst of its best season in years, and a large senior class doesn’t plan on letting it end in this weekend’s Elite 8 series against Edmund Burke. (ADDS: full schedule, preview items on Crisp Academy, SGA and Randolph Southern; and roundup item on Southland's Game 1 loss Thursday)
COLLEGE GOLF ROUNDUP: Cavs golf team 18 shots off lead with one round left at nationals; UGA in fourth after Day 1 of NCAA D-I Regionals
Darton betters its score during Round 3 at nationals Thursday, but the Cavs find themselves with a seemingly insurmountable deficit heading into today’s final round in Lubbock, Texas.
Former Worth County and Kansas State star linebacker Meshak Williams signs with his favorite team growing up — the NFL’s Baltimore Ravens — after impressing during rookie mini-camp.
Miami storms back from an 18-point second-half deficit to eliminate the Bulls in the Eastern Conference playoffs.
After handing the Diamondbacks a 10-1 thumping in Game 1 of their series Monday night, Atlanta drops the final two contests, including Wednesday’s 5-3 loss that sees Tim Hudson start strong early, then implode in the middle innings yet again.
After spending most of her high school career in Valdosta, Alexis Roland found a home her senior year at Lee County, where she parlayed her senior season on the soccer field into a college scholarship with Darton State on Wednesday.
NFL NOTEBOOK: At just 23, troubled former Alabama star LB McClain retires after brief NFL career; Packers say Favre retirement 'in the works'
Rolando McClain was the 8th overall pick six years ago by the Raiders, but multiple off-the-field issues and a lack of production of it ends the former Alabama star’s career. (ADDS: items on Favre-Packers; Raiders signing return man Cribbs; Jets QB Garrard to retire)
Former Deerfield star and Herald Player of the Year T.J. Mitchell and the Bulldogs begin their quest to reach NCAA nationals today in Arizona.
Sixth-year Crisp County baseball coach Bill Pate has the Cougars in the GHSA Class AAA Final Four for just the second time in the program’s long history after a doubleheader sweep late Tuesday of Stephens County.
The Cavs are five strokes better during their second round of the NJCAA national tournament Wednesday, but Darton is still 18 shots off the leader with two rounds left.
Coleman Butler is headed to Gordon College after signing Tuesday during a ceremony at Deerfield.
The one-time NBA darkhorse to win it all, New York, has one foot out the door after being beaten soundly by the Pacers in Game 5 on Tuesday night, giving Indiana a 3-1 lead in the best-of-seven series. (ADDS: Warriors-Spurs)
- Posey, Trojan Nation: Coach Williams will be missed
- Lights out 1 comment
- Hoping for history
- GISA ELITE 8: Edmund Burke ends Terrell Academy’s season; SGA, Southland knocked out
- GISA ELITE 8: Deerfield sweeps into Final 4
- GISA ELITE 8: Crisp Academy baseball advances to Final 4
- GISA ELITE 8 PREVIEW: Deerfield hits road for series vs. rival Westfield
- Gut-check time
- Former Deerfield star, Herald Player of the Year Crews locks up golf scholarship at Coastal
- PREVIEW: Area GISA baseball teams open play in Elite 8 today
- Gattis, Freeman clutch in Braves' win vs. Twins
- Upton on miserable batting average: 'I'm trying, man'
- NFL NOTEBOOK: Falcons get $200M loan to build new stadium, sign tight end; San Fran gets 2016 Super Bowl
- Belly putters banned from professional golf
- Braves open series vs. Twins with rout, 4th straight win 2 comments
- NFL NOTEBOOK: Vick calls critics ‘ignorant’; Ochocinco arrested 2 comments
- MLB NOTEBOOK: With O’Flaherty done, Braves’ relievers must step up
- NBA PLAYOFFS: Spurs spank Griz in opener of West finals
- Braves call up heralded reliever Rasmus — but debut on hold
- Braves complete sweep as Dodgers' bullpen collapses
- Albany State set to host plethora of summertime sports programs
- Bear of a career
- Gahman slips to T-26th after Day 2 of NCAA D-II nationals
- GSW’s Gahman rallies for Top 10 finish on Day 1 of NCAA Nationals
- Perno out as Georgia’s head baseball coach
- Four GSW athletes, including ex-Crisp star Cromer, named to PBC All-Academic team
- Georgia, Georgia Tech golf teams advance to NCAA Division I National Championship
- Former Lee County star Gahman ready to close career at nationals
- BULLDOGS NOTEBOOK: UGA’s Grantham, UF’s Muschamp in war of words
- Darton golf turns in worst finish at nationals in 10 years