Top Sports stories
Rams fall to Kentucky State, 7-5
The Rams, who entered Wednesday’s SIAC tournament opener as the No. 1 seed after an undefeated conference season, were stunned by No. 4 Kentucky State, 7-5. (ADDS: Albany State’s Kenyan Conner named Coach of the Year, six Rams honored by conference)
Lady Knights will play for state title next week
The Deerfield-Windsor girls tennis team won its third straight region championship, while the Knights finished third in Tuesday’s GISA Region 3-AAA tournament.
The Hawks were dominated by the Pacers in the second half on Tuesday and will need to win tonight in Atlanta to avoid falling behind in the series for the first time.
Annual golf event hosted by LPGA Hall of Famer Nancy Lopez benefits Albany Community Hospice
Tournament proceeds benefit medical, emotional and spiritual programs and services offered through Albany Community Hospice and the Willson Hospice House for patients needing palliative or end-of-life care and their families, officials say.
Michael Phelps, the most decorated Olympian of all time, is coming out of retirement.
Jordan Spieth took charge early in Sunday’s final round at Augusta National in his pursuit to become the youngest Masters champion, but the 20-year-old saw his two-shot lead evaporate in an instant.
Freddie Freeman and Justin Upton homered early to spark Atlanta to a 10-2 win over the Washington Nationals on Sunday.
Watson gets second Masters with Sunday surge
Bubba Watson pulls away for his second Masters championship
Rory McIlroy ended a frustrating Masters on a high with his best round of the tournament on Sunday to record his first top 10 finish at Augusta National.
The Rams finished a three-game sweep of Paine with a 6-2 victory on Sunday to close their SIAC regular-season schedule a perfect 20-0.
The performances of the golden oldies at this week’s Masters have proved the 50-plus brigade can mix it with the young powerhouses of world golf, Bernhard Langer said after finishing in the top 10.
Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez acknowledged only 10 games into the season he’s still trying to find a comfort zone with how to use the new pieces in his bullpen.
Atlanta’s offense has been alarmingly unproductive and some of the same problems that plagued the lineup a year ago have carried over.
Kevin Ware was a key member of the 2012-13 Louisville team that won the national championship at the Georgia Dome. However, he sustained a broken right leg during that tournament, a gruesome injury that caused him to miss the final few games.
Rory McIlroy’s miserable run at the Masters continued on Saturday when he was beaten by a noncompeting amateur in the third round at Augusta National.
Bubba Watson is looking for his second Masters championship, while 20-year-old Jordan Spieth is trying to become the youngest winner at Augusta National.
Herald guest columnist Loran Smith writes about Fuzzy Zoeller’s 1979 championship at the Masters.
Former Georgia Tech star Matt Kuchar is one shot back of the lead heading into today’s final round after a dazzling performance Saturday.
Darton softball sweeps past Georgia Perimeter
Albany State (27-15, 19-0 SIAC) will go for its 20th conference victory this afternoon when they meet Paine in the SIAC baseball finale at 1 p.m.
- Deerfield girls win region tennis title
- GISA STATE SOCCER TOURNAMENT: Deerfield, Sherwood teams advance to quarterfinals
- Dougherty to name former Harlem Globetrotter Randolph as hoops coach
- Four Lee County standouts sign college scholarships
- Terrell County runs away with Region 1-A track & field titles
- Westover sweeps Region 1-AAAA meet; Bainbridge boys take 1-AAAAA title
- Deerfield-Windsor track & field teams roll to region titles
- Three SW Georgia schools ask GHSA to reconsider classification
- Glover’s big game leads Deerfield past Southland
- Monroe girls, Westover boys take Westover Relays
- Gattis' pinch-hit double lifts Braves past Marlins
- Series lead up for grabs between Hawks, Pacers
- Pacers rally, even series with Hawks
- Braves manage three hits in 1-0 loss to Marlins
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Varvaro lighting up radar gun
- Former NFL wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson arrested
- Braves Minor set to return
- Braves fall to Mets in 14 innings
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Harang emerging as essential pitcher for Atlanta
- Phillies' Burnett outduels Braves' Wood for 1-0 victory
- Albany State baseball stunned in tourney opener
- Lady Cavs sweep Andrew, finish season undefeated at home
- Darton softball sweeps Middle Georgia
- Lady Rams settle for No. 2 seed
- Darton baseball sets school record with 17th straight win
- Darton baseball crushes ABAC for 15th straight win
- COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton baseball, softball keep winning streaks alive
- Cavs win district title, punch ticket to nationals
- Darton golf close to 13th straight nationals berth
- Albany State baseball finishes SIAC slate unbeaten