Top Sports stories
The BCS committee announced Sunday night that the No. 1 Seminoles (13-0) -- the last remaining unbeaten program in the FBS -- will face No. 2 Auburn (12-1) in the final BCS National Championship game on Jan. 6 in Pasadena, Calif., before college football moves to a four-team playoff in 2014.
UGA's New Year's Day opponent will be Nebraska
Yellow Jackets, in a bowl for the 17th consecutive season, accept bid to Music City Bowl
No Dougherty County basketball team has won a state title since Dougherty, Westover in 2001
It’s been more than a decade since a boys team has won a state title, while girls teams haven’t captured a championship since the 1950s.
The Herald previews boys basketball teams from Bainbridge, Lee County, Americus-Sumter, Crisp County, Dougherty, Monroe, Albany High, Terrell County, Westover, Worth County, Early County, Pelham, Baker County, Calhoun County, Miller County, Mitchell County, Randolph-Clay and Seminole County.
The Herald previews girls basketball teams from Bainbridge, Lee County, Americus-Sumter, Crisp County, Dougherty, Monroe, Albany High, Terrell County, Westover, Worth County, Early County, Pelham, Baker County, Calhoun County, Miller County, Mitchell County, Randolph-Clay and Seminole County.
The Herald previews boys basketball teams from Deerfield-Windsor, Southland, Sherwood Christian, Southwest Georgia Academy, Terrell Academy, Westwood and Crisp Academy.
The Herald previews girls basketball teams from Deerfield-Windsor, Southland, Sherwood Christian, Southwest Georgia Academy, Terrell Academy, Westwood and Crisp Academy.
Less than a year removed from a 13-3 record and the No. 1 seed in the NFC, Atlanta is tied for the worst record in the league and finds itself jockeying for the top pick in the 2014 draft.
Waterfowl (ducks, geese, and swans) are among North America’s most recognizable birds
Whether one is hunter, birder, or overall wildlife watcher, now is the time to pay attention to waterfowl arriving in our region for the winter.
Jamorris Gaines leads ASU with 21 points
Led by former Worth County star Jamorris Gaines, Albany State wins its first home game of the season Saturday.
Lady Rams are led by freshman Keidra Green
Cordele native Keidra Green scored a career-high 23 points Saturday to lead the Albany State women to a 71-63 win against Georgia Southwestern in the PBC/SIAC Challenge in Americus.
Shanea Armbrister scores 26 points in the 95-37 win
The Darton Lady Cavs win their fifth straight game behind star Shanea Armbrister, who scored a game-high 26 points.
Key Key Price leads Monroe with 21 points
The Monroe girls basketball team’s high-tempo offense proved to be a success again as the Lady Tornadoes defeated Lee County, 67-52, Saturday night at the second and final day of the DOCO Thanksgiving Shootout at Westover High School. (ADDS: Dougherty-Albany; TCC-Albany)
Bulldogs, Yellow Jackets renew rivalry today
In the old days when freshmen were not allowed to compete in varsity competition, the annual Thanksgiving Day battle between the Bullpups and Baby Jackets often were classic thrillers.
In today’s game against Georgia Tech, Georgia will be starting Hutson Mason at quarterback in place of four-year starter Aaron Murray, who injured his knee last week and required season-ending surgery.
The winner of the Iron Bowl, which will take place today between Auburn and Alabama, has won the BCS national championship the past four seasons.
The Seminoles appear to have a ticket to the BCS National Championship in hand if they can just win their final two games, including today’s matchup agaisnt rival Florida.
Ra’Keta Shelton leads Dougherty with 15 points
Trailing Dougherty by double digits for much of the game, Terrell County came alive during crunch time and appeared to be line for an early-season comeback until the Lady Trojans closed it out for the win. (ADDS: Albany High-Early; Monroe-Bainbridge)
No. 10 Darton wins fourth straight
For the second time this week, the Darton women’s basketball team cruised to a victory against an overmatched Southern Crescent Tech team by at least 75 points. (ADDS: Georgia Southwestern men)
No. 1 seed Seminole County loses first game, 42-0
The Seminole County Indians’ dream season and undefeated record were both ended Friday night by Charlton County, which routed Seminole County to advance to the Class A semifinals.
With 88 consecutive regular-season games with a 3-pointer, Atlanta’s Kyle Korver needs one in his next game played to tie the NBA’s all-time record.
Guards Chris Burnette and Dallas Lee and left tackle Kenarious Gates have more than 100 starts between them, and they are all playing their last game for Georgia.
- PREP BASKETBALL ROUNDUP: Westwood girls beat Crisp in battle of state champs
- PREP HOOPS PREVIEW: GISA girls preview capsules
- PREP HOOPS PREVIEW: GISA boys preview capsules
- PREP HOOPS PREVIEW: GHSA girls preview capsules
- PREP HOOPS PREVIEW: GHSA boys preview capsules
- PREP HOOPS PREVIEW: Dougherty County teams hoping state title drought ends this season
- FRIDAY'S PREP BASKETBALL ROUNDUP:Westover girls survive double-OT thriller
- Crisp County's Cooks hits game-winner to beat Monroe in OT
- Georgia coach Mark Richt visits Westover with eyes on DT Trent Thompson
- TUESDAY'S PREP HOOPS ROUNDUP: Ward's game-winner lifts Dougherty over Crisp
- Packers rally to beat Falcons without Rodgers
- PREVIEW: Falcons prepare for Rodgers-less Packers
- Daring rookie Alford getting turnovers for Falcons
- Hawks begin important homestand
- Falcons preparing for Packers QB Rodgers
- Falcons hope to take battling spirit to Green Bay
- Forced fumbles help Falcons fly by Bills in overtime
- PREVIEW: Falcons looking to snap five-game skid
- Korver’s 3-point streak on hold with rib injury
- Weatherspoon asking Falcons’ defense to step up
- Georgia Tech to face Ole Miss in bowl
- Bulldogs headed back to Jacksonville for bowl game
- Auburn and Florida State to play in final BCS title game
- Auburn runs past Missouri in SEC title game
- LOCAL COLLEGE HOOPS ROUNDUP: ASU men split weekend basketball games
- Westover boys, girls rout Terrell County
- PREVIEW: Surprise SEC title matchup features Auburn, Missouri
- Four Darton soccer players named All-Americans
- Auburn coach Malzahn took backroads to Atlanta
- Georgia AD McGarity reflects on football season