Top Sports stories
The Lady Eagles lose for the fourth time this season to Randolph-Clay
Thursday’s loss to Randolph-Clay in the Class A state title game was devastating for a Mitchell County team that was looking for the first girls basketball state championship in school history.
After falling in the state championship game last season, Randolph-Clay coach Jennifer Acree said winning this year’s title is sweet
Randolph-Clay coach Jennifer Acree celebrates her first state title by claiming she will drink sweet tea from the championship trophy.
Wilkinson County holds on for 72-64 victory
Turner County nearly erases an 11-point fourth-quarter deficit in Thursday’s Class A boys state championship game but falls to Wilkinson County, 72-64.
The Bulldogs are in sole possession of third place in the SEC standings, but they could dip all the way to fifth with a loss Saturday against LSU.
Early County's run in the Class AA state playoffs is ended Tuesday by Northeast Macon, which advances to Thursday's Elite 8.
Crisp County erases a 17-point lead but can't close the deal in a Sweet 16 loss to Rutland on Tuesday.
More than 1,500 runners are expected to compete in the 8th annual Albany Marathon and Half-Marathon Powered by Snickers
Runners are expected to be greeted by a 20 percent chance of rain and temperatures in the low 40s when the races start at 7 a.m. Saturday.
The Hornets have won 20 straight and advance to meet Laney in the Class AA quarterfinals on Thursday.
Westover boys return to Elite 8
Led by Dunavon Robinson, the Patriots trounced Riverdale, 79-60, advancing them to the Elite 8 for the second straight year.
The Bainbridge Bearcats upset No. 1 seed Mundy’s Mill with an 85-76 overtime victory Tuesday despite Super 6er Tyree Crump fouling out in the final minute of regulation. (ADDS: Calhoun County advances; Seminole County falls in OT)
James Walker scores a game-high 24 points to lead Region 4-AAAA champion Jonesboro into Thursday’s Elite 8 with a 62-45 victory over Worth County.
Fourth-seeded Darton State College beat No. 5 Georgia Perimeter College, 70-64, at home Tuesday, advancing to the semifinal round of the Region XVII tournament.
The Lady Patriots commit 30 turnovers and end their season in the second round. (ADDS: Early County girls, Mitchell County girls)
McCrae leads Red Devils into Elite 8
Gary McCrae scores 22 second-half points to help Randolph-Clay erase a 14-point deficit in Monday’s Class A tournament game against Georgia Military College.
Despite a noticeable height disadvantage, the Lady Tornadoes took down the Dutchtown Lady Bulldogs at home 50-38 to claim a win in the second round of the Class AAAA state playoffs.
The Randolph-Clay girls start the road back to the Class A state title game with a dominating 71-48 victory against Central Talbotton.
The Lady Hornets improve to 27-0 and will meet Laney in the Class AA state tournament quarterfinals.
In a race that started in broad daylight and ended 42 minutes before midnight, and with a swatch of tape covering part of his grill, Dale Earnhardt Jr. won the rain-interrupted 56th running of the Daytona 500 Sunday night at Daytona International Speedway.
Brandon Beachy is penciled in to start the season in the rotation with the returning trio of Kris Medlen, Julio Teheran and Mike Minor.
- CHAMPS!!!: Randolph-Clay girls dominate Mitchell County for state title
- Mitchell County's 'special season' ends in heartbreak
- STATE CHAMPIONSHIP NOTEBOOK: Randolph-Clay coach Acree drinks sweet tea from championship cup
- Turner County’s comeback falls just short in boys Class A title game
- STATE CHAMPIONSHIP PREVIEW: Mitchell County girls hoping to make history with first title
- STATE CHAMPIONSHIP PREVIEW: Adversity helped Randolph-Clay girls back to title game
- Oak Mountain ends Crisp Academy's season in GISA Final 4
- Sherwood fires boys basketball coach Bryan Gelfand
- Mitchell County, Randolph-Clay coaches believe small things will determine championship
- Columbia stuns Westover at buzzer in Class AAAA Final 4
- Former Brave Hudson turns to next chapter of his career
- Hawks' defensive struggles early prove costly
- Graham grateful to be back on mound for Braves
- After elbow surgeries, Braves’ Beachy feels good
- Hawks have needs as trade deadline approaches
- Hawks' Millsap has proved himself an All-Star
- City of Albany terminates lease with Panthers (UPDATED: 7:50 p.m.)
- Braves re-sign Freeman, Heyward
- Seahawks rout Broncos for Super Bowl title
- Albany's Ricardo Lockette completing 'life-long dream' by playing in Super Bowl
- Lady Rams advance to conference quarterfinals
- Darton State College divers set to defend national titles
- Darton, Georgia Southwestern can't catch Eastern Florida State in final round of Doublegate Invitational
- LOCAL COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton, GSW golf tied for 2nd at Doublegate Invite
- South Georgia Tech downs Darton in region semifinal
- Darton wrestling hoping to make history at nationals
- Lady Cavs advance to Region XVII semifinals
- Albany State gets 'signature win' vs. rival Fort Valley State
- Albany State women clinch East Division title with homecoming win
- LOCAL COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton softball sweeps East Georgia