Top Sports stories
Baseball standout Hayes signs with Savannah State; Bell, Yarbrough, Kendrick sign with junior colleges
Chris Hayes was one of four Lee County High School signees who inked a college scholarship Friday morning in the school media center.
Dan Jenkins, the celebrated writer with a word processor every bit as gifted as Bobby Jones once described O. B. Keeler’s typewriter, would scoff at the notion of iconic status, but the recurring interview requests this week refute any and all of his disclaimers.
Knights beat Southland, 11-1, in five innings
Deerfield’s Justin Glover hits two homers in the third inning and is sharp on the mound to lead the Knights past Southland on Friday.
Monroe girls win easily, Westover boys surge late
The Lady Tornadoes were in firm control Friday night at the Westover Relays, running away with an easy victory, while the Westover boys pulled away late.
Mets left fielder Eric Young, who entered Thursday's game against Atlanta hitting just .154, had three hits, including a triple, stole three bases and scored four times as the Mets defeated the Braves 6-4 to take the three-game series at Turner Field.
Ricardo Lockette, Colin Kaepernick and Quinton Patton are being investigated
Albany native and former Monroe star Ricardo Lockette is one of three NFL players being investigated by Miami police for an incident that happened earlier this month. (ADDS: Full incident report .pdf)
Bill Haas’ 68 tops the leaderboard after the opening round of the 2014 Masters
O’Neal is one of Southwest Georgia’s top shot putters
Westover’s Chris O’Neal has consistently improved during his short career, and his success will make his Patriots one of the favorites on the boys side tonight as the Westover Relays begin at 4 p.m. at Hugh Mills Stadium.
Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player usher in the 2014 Masters
Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player started the 2014 Masters on Thursday with their annual morning drives from the No. 1 tee, and Herald guest columnist Loran Smith was there to soak in the atmosphere at Augusta National.
Lady Cavs stretch winning streak to eight
Starting pitcher Sommar Wright threw a one-hitter in the opener to lead the Lady Cavs to an 8-0 victory against South Georgia, and then Darton rolled to an 11-4 victory in the second game. (ADDS: Albany State softball swept by Valdosta State)
Darton State beats Andrew College, 8-1
Darton freshman pitcher Cole Amtmann was told minutes before Thursday’s game against Andrew College that he would get the start, and he responded with his best outing of the year.
Fireworks honoring the legendary Atlanta Braves slugger Hank Aaron on Tuesday night brought sparks way too close to the American Flag at Turner Field.
Jeff Teague had 19 points and eight assists and Kyle Korver scored 17 points as host Atlanta got a critical victory vs. Boston.
Atlanta beats New York Mets, 4-3
Braves pitcher Ervin Santana allowed three hits and no walks in eight scoreless innings during his debut on Wednesday. The Braves beat the Mets, 4-3.
Tiger Woods is missing the Masters for the first time in 20 years, but the 38-year-old American still commands attention at Augusta National.
Loran Smith writes about his conversation with Verne Lundquist and Bill Griffin
Herald guest columnist Loran Smith meets up with old friends at Augusta National, including CBS announcer Verne Lundquist.
- Dougherty to name former Harlem Globetrotter Randolph as hoops coach
- Four Lee County standouts sign college scholarships
- Terrell County runs away with Region 1-A track & field titles
- Westover sweeps Region 1-AAAA meet; Bainbridge boys take 1-AAAAA title
- Deerfield-Windsor track & field teams roll to region titles
- Three SW Georgia schools ask GHSA to reconsider classification
- Glover’s big game leads Deerfield past Southland
- Monroe girls, Westover boys take Westover Relays
- O'Neal leading Patriots into Westover Relays
- PREP NOTEBOOK: Miller County's Killingsworth ponders next move after resignation
- Phillies' Burnett outduels Braves' Wood for 1-0 victory
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Johnson back in lineup, moved to seventh spot
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Pitcher Santana making the most of his opportunity
- Autopsy reveals cause of death of Ultimate Warrior
- Koonin to become part-owner, CEO of Hawks
- Simple approach pays off for J. Upton
- Braves sweep Nationals with 10-2 victory
- Braves’ bullpen experiencing growing pains
- Braves believe offense will improve
- Watson seizes control in second round of Masters
- Darton baseball crushes ABAC for 15th straight win
- COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton baseball, softball keep winning streaks alive
- Cavs win district title, punch ticket to nationals
- Darton golf close to 13th straight nationals berth
- Albany State baseball finishes SIAC slate unbeaten
- Ware will transfer to Georgia State
- LOCAL COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Albany State baseball sweeps Paine
- Darton wins 13th straight of season
- Former Southwest Georgia prep stars leading Albany State baseball
- COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton softball returns from break, sweeps South Georgia