Top Sports stories
After jumping all over RTCA in first, Crisp rolls to easy win
The Lady Wildcats will chase their fourth straight state championship today after destroying Robert Toombs in Friday’s GISA Class A state semifinals.
Lady Rams beat Clark Atlanta, 70-58
After falling behind by seven points in the second half, the Lady Rams storm back to clinch a spot in today’s SIAC championship game. (ADDS: Albany State men eliminated, Georgia Southwestern men advance in conference tournaments)
Crawford Berry wins the 3-meter diving gold medal
Darton State College sophomore Crawford Berry renewed his reign as the 3-meter diving national champion at the NJCAA swimming and diving championships in Fort Pierce, Fla.
Braves pitchers Alex Wood and Freddy Garcia are competing for the final spot in Atlanta’s rotation.
American Patrick Reed grabbed a one-shot lead at the end of the rain-delayed opening round of the WGC-Cadillac Championship on Friday while Tiger Woods saved his day with a blazing finish.
McCrae leads Red Devils into Elite 8
Gary McCrae scores 22 second-half points to help Randolph-Clay erase a 14-point deficit in Monday’s Class A tournament game against Georgia Military College.
Despite a noticeable height disadvantage, the Lady Tornadoes took down the Dutchtown Lady Bulldogs at home 50-38 to claim a win in the second round of the Class AAAA state playoffs.
The Randolph-Clay girls start the road back to the Class A state title game with a dominating 71-48 victory against Central Talbotton.
The Lady Hornets improve to 27-0 and will meet Laney in the Class AA state tournament quarterfinals.
In a race that started in broad daylight and ended 42 minutes before midnight, and with a swatch of tape covering part of his grill, Dale Earnhardt Jr. won the rain-interrupted 56th running of the Daytona 500 Sunday night at Daytona International Speedway.
Brandon Beachy is penciled in to start the season in the rotation with the returning trio of Kris Medlen, Julio Teheran and Mike Minor.
The Rams knock off bitter rival and SIAC top dog Fort Valley State in a homecoming game in front of a sold-out crowd.
Herald outdoors columnist Bob Kornegay writes about the sport of birding.
With boating and boat ownership comes boat maintenance, a responsibility quite a few of us neglect to one degree or another.
The Joe Gibbs Racing team will attempt to win its first Daytona 500 since 1993, and Denny Hamlin will attempt to complete an unprecedented trifecta, as the first driver to win the Unlimited, a Duel race and the Daytona 500 in the same year.
The Lady Rams outscore rival Fort Valley State 11-1 in the final 53 seconds to clinch the No. 1 seed in next month’s SIAC tournament.
Lady Knights will face John Milledge in first round of state tournament Wednesday night at Tattnall Square Academy.
Patriots don’t hit a field goal in the final quarter but clutch free-throw shooting sends them into the next round.
Worth County, Crisp County, Early County and Bainbridge all win first round games.
Just days after head coach Bryan Gelfand was suspended for the rest of the season, the Sherwood boys basketball team wins its first region championship since 2010. (ADDS: Westwood, Crisp Academy girls repeat as region champs)
- Crisp Academy girls cruise into GISA Class A finals
- Westwood girls hold on, top Arlington Christian in state semis
- CHAMPS!!!: Randolph-Clay girls dominate Mitchell County for state title
- Mitchell County's 'special season' ends in heartbreak
- STATE CHAMPIONSHIP NOTEBOOK: Randolph-Clay coach Acree drinks sweet tea from championship cup
- Turner County’s comeback falls just short in boys Class A title game
- STATE CHAMPIONSHIP PREVIEW: Mitchell County girls hoping to make history with first title
- STATE CHAMPIONSHIP PREVIEW: Adversity helped Randolph-Clay girls back to title game
- Oak Mountain ends Crisp Academy's season in GISA Final 4
- Sherwood fires boys basketball coach Bryan Gelfand
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Wood driven by competition and skeptics
- Former Brave Hudson turns to next chapter of his career
- Hawks' defensive struggles early prove costly
- Graham grateful to be back on mound for Braves
- After elbow surgeries, Braves’ Beachy feels good
- Hawks have needs as trade deadline approaches
- Hawks' Millsap has proved himself an All-Star
- City of Albany terminates lease with Panthers (UPDATED: 7:50 p.m.)
- Braves re-sign Freeman, Heyward
- Seahawks rout Broncos for Super Bowl title
- Darton diver Crawford Berry wins another NJCAA title
- LOCAL COLLEGE HOOPS ROUNDUP: Albany State women advance to SIAC title game
- Lady Rams advance to conference quarterfinals
- Darton State College divers set to defend national titles
- Darton, Georgia Southwestern can't catch Eastern Florida State in final round of Doublegate Invitational
- LOCAL COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton, GSW golf tied for 2nd at Doublegate Invite
- South Georgia Tech downs Darton in region semifinal
- Darton wrestling hoping to make history at nationals
- Lady Cavs advance to Region XVII semifinals
- Albany State gets 'signature win' vs. rival Fort Valley State