Top Sports stories
Cavs have won 14 straight, Lady Cavs have won 12 in a row
The Darton baseball and softball teams, who are both ranked in the Top 20 in the NJCAA, extended double-digit winning streaks on Wednesday. (ADDS: Albany State baseball loses to Columus State, Albany State softball splits with Claflin)
Atlanta has landed a Major League Soccer expansion team that will play beginning in 2017 in the city’s new open-air stadium downtown.
Julio Teheran throws his first career shutout Wednesday to beat Philadelphia and extend the Braves' winning streak to five.
Braves hitting coach Greg Walker said he wanted Chris Johnson to “get the fight back between him and the pitcher” instead of fighting himself.
Jack Nicklaus still plays Augusta National as a member
Golf fans could count on Jack Nicklaus making a run for the title at the Masters and bringing about stimulating drama with superior shot making. Now all we have are the memories.
The Cavs are ranked 20th in the country
The Darton baseball team entered the national poll on Tuesday, taking spot No. 20 in the NJCAA Division I baseball rankings.
ASU wins opener 1-0; GSW takes second game 11-2
Albany State pitcher Alexa Lopez tosses a three-hitter to lead the Lady Rams to a victory over Georgia Southwestern in Tuesday’s opener, but the Lady Hurricanes bounce back in the second game with a 10-run fifth inning to win, 11-2.
Connecticut's Shabazz Napier scores 22 points to lead the Huskies past Kentucky in Monday's national title game, giving UConn its fourth national championship.
Joey Logano’s four new tires bettered the two taken by Jeff Gordon and Brian Vickers in the final two laps of the Duck Commander 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Texas Motor Speedway on Monday.
Catcher has been strong behind the plate
Lee County’s Manny Chavarria has established himself as one of the top defensive catchers in the area. He has allowed just three passed balls this season, possesses a cannon-style arm and hardly ever allows a stolen base.
Pitcher helped Columbus State win national baseball title
Burdette entered CSU folklore in 2002 when he hurled a complete-game pitching gem against Cal State Chico in the finals at Paterson Field in Montgomery, Ala., scattering eight hits and striking out three. The championship victory was his second of the tournament.
Only two hours of Masters practice was possible on Monday before play was called off due to the threat of lightning, but Jim Furyk saw that as a potential advantage in what was always going to be a long week.
Guard Jeff Teague scored a game-high 25 points, leading four Atlanta starters in double figures as the Hawks stunned the Indiana Pacers 107-88 Sunday night.
The Huskies vs. the Wildcats is not only a matchup of perennial college basketball powers, it’s also the first time since 1966 that the neither of the tournament championship combatants made the field the previous year.
Andrew College’s Andreas Tancred is individual medalist
Despite Sunday’s third and final round being cancelled because of rain and severe weather, the Darton State College golf team wins their 13th straight Region XVII championship.
Washington shortstop Ian Desmond blasted the first pitch from Atlanta Braves starter Alex Wood in the last of the seventh for a leadoff home run to left field to break a 1-1 tie and the Nationals won 2-1 Sunday to salvage the final game of the three-game set.
Aaron Harrison hit the game-winning 3-pointer with 5.7 seconds left as the Wildcats defeated the Badgers to reach the NCAA title game.
Connecticut proved its early season victory over top-ranked Florida was not a fluke by punching its ticket to the national championship game with a 63-53 victory over the Gators on Saturday in the Final Four.
One of the most popular ornamentals in the Southeast is the Bradford pear tree.
Although various traits make it a favorite for many who want to beautify their properties, the Bradford pear brings with it some dark secrets.
- Deerfield-Windsor track & field teams roll to region titles
- Three SW Georgia schools ask GHSA to reconsider classification
- Glover’s big game leads Deerfield past Southland
- Monroe girls, Westover boys take Westover Relays
- O'Neal leading Patriots into Westover Relays
- PREP NOTEBOOK: Miller County's Killingsworth ponders next move after resignation
- Worth County maintains pace, tops Monroe
- Lee County's Chavarria leads by example
- Former Lee standout Burdette inducted into CSU Hall of Fame
- Crisp County baseball eager to pick up where last season's team left off
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Johnson back in lineup, moved to seventh spot
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Pitcher Santana making the most of his opportunity
- Autopsy reveals cause of death of Ultimate Warrior
- Koonin to become part-owner, CEO of Hawks
- Simple approach pays off for J. Upton
- Braves sweep Nationals with 10-2 victory
- Braves’ bullpen experiencing growing pains
- Braves believe offense will improve
- Watson seizes control in second round of Masters
- Young's four runs spark Mets past Braves
- COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton baseball, softball keep winning streaks alive
- Cavs win district title, punch ticket to nationals
- Darton golf close to 13th straight nationals berth
- Albany State baseball finishes SIAC slate unbeaten
- Ware will transfer to Georgia State
- LOCAL COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Albany State baseball sweeps Paine
- Darton wins 13th straight of season
- Former Southwest Georgia prep stars leading Albany State baseball
- COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton softball returns from break, sweeps South Georgia
- Amtmann's surprise start keys Darton's win