Top Loran Smith stories
A lucky Albany Herald reader will win $1,000 worth of free gas from Homerun Foods to help make summer days a whole lot cooler.- Carlton Fletcher, metro editor
It's been rumored for weeks that the Thrashers were leaving Georgia for greener pastures in Canada, and Tuesday it happened as Atlanta became the only city to ever lose two NHL teams in the modern era of the league.
More Loran Smith
SWGA FISHING REPORT: A weekly outlook on how the fish are biting in Southwest Georgia lakes and the Flint River
These are the fishing prospects for this weekend for the Flint River and lakes Blackshear, Seminole and Walter F. George.
Jackets’ defense was sliced part in loss to North Carolina last week
Defensive coordinator Ted Roof upped the level of live hitting in practice this week in his search for solutions for his defense.
Cancellation follows reports mother June Shannon was dating a man with a criminal history
TLC wouldn’t publicly cite a reason for the cancellation, but said in a statement that “supporting the health and welfare of these remarkable children is our only priority. TLC is faithfully committed to the childrens’ ongoing comfort and well-being.”
Public safety roundup for Albany and Dougherty County
The Albany Police Department responded to at least 24 incidents on Thursday and the early hours of Friday, available reports show.
Lloyd Cuber Miller, 87, of Albany, GA died Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2014
Eucilla Perry, 77 of Dawson, GA died on Thursday, October 23, 2014 at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital, Albany, GA.
Donald Nixon, 82, of Albany died Friday, October 24, 2014 at his residence.
David Alan Knaak, 52, of Cobb, GA died Monday October 20, 2014
Joseph Harrell, 81,of 406 Finch St. Albany Ga., died October 24, 2014.
Sylvester Roberts, 72, of Albany died Tuesday October 21, 2014 at Phoebe Sumter Medical Centers.
Heather Worek Barlow, 35, of Climax, GA, passed away Wednesday, October 22, 2014.
Emma Grace Barlow, 10, of Climax, GA, passed away Wednesday, October 22, 2014.
Adrien Russ passed away on September 22, 2014 of a heart attack at his home in Golden Colorado. He was 61 years old.
Tornadoes overcome seven-point deficit in third quarter to score big win
Monroe (5-3, 2-1 Region 1-AAAA ‘A’) played its best game of the season and let everyone know the subregion race will be a three-team one instead of the Cairo and Thomas County Central show.
Friday's High School Football Capsules
- HAL BRADY: Looking beneath the surface
- BYRON YORK: The audacity of Greg Orman
- MICHAEL GERSON: For GOP, no victory lap
- EUGENE ROBINSON: Stepping into the morass?
- ROBINSON: Stepping into the morass?
- T. GAMBLE: Ebola thing has me in a tizzy
- RONDA RICH COLUMN: Ghosts in the ashes
- EDDIE SEAGLE: Time to catch some of that transplanting fever
- CAL THOMAS COLUMN: Houston pastors fight censorship challenge
- CARLTON FLETCHER: Elections Board member draws heat for Sunday vote
Features Analysis and Opinion
- HAL BRADY: Looking beneath the surface
- HAL BRADY: Handling criticism
- MARY GANZEL: Obesity places burdens on health, finance
- BARRY LEVINE: The times definitely were a-changing
- MANDY FLYNN: Sick of squirrels
- CREEPY CRAWLERS: Fears about spiders are largely unfounded
- RONDA RICH: Steady like a chainsaw
- MICHELE MOULTON: 'Ideal' body type is not necessarily 'picture perfect'
- MARY BRASWELL: Looking back across the years 1910-2007 in Albany and Southwest Georgia
- BARRY LEVINE: Mills Brothers one of numerous brother acts to find success in the music business
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia fishing - Oct. 25, 2014 weekend
- Georgia Tech defense has a lot to fix
- Monroe's defense helps Tornadoes upset Cairo
- Tonight's Prep Football Capsules
- San Francisco Giants' bullpen melts down in Game 2 loss
- ALBANY HERALD FOOTBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Terrell County quarterback Detravion Bishop
- Bainbridge's Tramaine McCray returns to team
- Early-season schedule helped prepare Mitchell County
- SPORTS BRIEFS: Darton women's soccer ends regular season with victory
- Five-run sixth inning sends Kansas City Royals past San Francisco
- Standard & Poor's bumps up SYNOVUS credit rating
- Can this phone revolutionize the smart phone market?
- New Waffle House going up near Darton 5 comments
- MUTED: New law could end annoying TV commercial blaring 1 comment
- Want a pricey cup o' Java? Bring in the elephants
- BLOG: Despite lack of skilled manufacturing in U.S., Apple to make new Mac line here
- Some people take voting just a bit too seriously 1 comment
- Barack Obama was born in Kenya! (And so was Mitt Romney) no kidding...
- The world will not end no matter what happens with this election 1 comment
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments