Top Loran Smith stories
A lucky Albany Herald reader will win $1,000 worth of free gas from Homerun Foods to help make summer days a whole lot cooler.- Carlton Fletcher, metro editor
It's been rumored for weeks that the Thrashers were leaving Georgia for greener pastures in Canada, and Tuesday it happened as Atlanta became the only city to ever lose two NHL teams in the modern era of the league.
More Loran Smith
Lady Wildcats advance to GISA Class AA championship game
The defending Class AA state champion Westwood girls are back in the title game for a fourth straight season after beating Arlington Christian by three points in Friday’s semifinals.
Sen. Lindsey Tippins is a voice in the wilderness surrounded by zealots who can’t wait for the elections to be over so they can get back to hosing public education, but with four school teachers in my family I am glad he is minding the store. School teachers should be, too.
Williams wanted for questioning
The Lee County Sheriff’s Office issues a lookout for Jaquan Tyree Williams.
Email service for The Albany Herald was interrupted from 4:30 p.m. Tuesday until 4:30 p.m. Thursday because of a technical problem with our service provider. If you submitted an message to an Albany Herald email address during that 48-hour period, it was not received. The service is now operating normally, and emails are being received. We apologize for this inconvenience.
Carolyn Drew Sheffield Burnett, 79, of Cuthbert, died on March 6, 2014 at Phobe Putney North Hospital in Albany.
Zelda M. Bennafield, age 93, who died Monday, March 3, 2014 at her home in Ft. Gaines, Georgia
Nellie Stapleton Alston died at her home near Weston, GA., on Thursday, March 6, 2014
Samuel Chambers of 802 E. Pope Street, Sylvester, GA, who departed this life on Monday, March 3, 2014 at his residence
Evelyn Griffin Sizemore has gone to be with her Lord on March 6, 2014 at 9:45 PM at her daughters home after a brief illness.
Fannie Ruth Holder, 79 of Miami, Fla. formerly of Albany died Wednesday February 26, 2014 at Aventura Hospital in Miami.
Velmon Lee Everett, 62, 2580 Crescent Drive, Albany, Georgia who departed this life Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital
Ms. Devora A. Ealy, 86, 4831 Pinto Drive, Albany, GA, who departed this life Friday, February 28, 2014 at her residence
Brenda Jean Thomas, 62, 2623 Lonesome Road, Albany, GA, who departed this life Thursday, February 27, 2014 at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital
Catherine Russ Harrington, 92, 3323 Twinflower Road, Albany, Georgia who departed this life Saturday, March 1, 2014 at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital
For more squawks, pick up a copy of today's Albany Herald!
- CHARLES O. OCHIE SR.: Reentry failure is to costly to communities
- E.J. DIONNE: Even when agreeing, Obama foes blame him first
- YARBROUGH: Sen. Tippins working to improve Common Core standards
- CREEDE HINSHAW: Can love get a majority vote?
- JOHN WALLACE: Stagecoach Mary broke barriers ... and a few noses
- KATHLEEN PARKER: Once upon a moonbeam
- ROBINSON: The American story of slavery
- SOWELL: Freedom is not free
- LORAN SMITH: Some heroes never get recognized
- CARLTON FLETCHER: Ed Lightsey was one of journalism';s true originals
Features Analysis and Opinion
- CREEDE HINSHAW: Can love get a majority vote?
- T. GAMBLE: Just not cut out to be in this year
- RONDA RICH: Living in black and white
- KEVIN SPROUL: Springtime offers opportunity to support CPIU
- MARY BRASWELL: Looking Back - March 2, 2014
- KIRSTEN LUPINSKI: Bake up some fun, healthy snacks
- MANDY FLYNN: A life well lived
- T. GAMBLE: Illuminating the loss of another freedom
- BARRY LEVINE: Sinatra a classic for all time
- MANDY FLYNN: Squirrel drops in for an unwelcome visit
- OUTDOORS: Southwest Georgia fishing reports
- OUTDOORS COLUMN: Rivers of the tides
- Crisp Academy dominates on way to state title
- Westwood girls repeat as GISA Class AA champs
- Darton diver Crawford Berry wins another NJCAA title
- Reed grabs Doral lead as Woods and Scott struggle
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Wood driven by competition and skeptics
- Crisp Academy girls cruise into GISA Class A finals
- LOCAL COLLEGE HOOPS ROUNDUP: Albany State women advance to SIAC title game
- Westwood girls hold on, top Arlington Christian in state semis
- Standard & Poor's bumps up SYNOVUS credit rating
- Can this phone revolutionize the smart phone market?
- New Waffle House going up near Darton 5 comments
- MUTED: New law could end annoying TV commercial blaring 1 comment
- Want a pricey cup o' Java? Bring in the elephants
- BLOG: Despite lack of skilled manufacturing in U.S., Apple to make new Mac line here
- Some people take voting just a bit too seriously 1 comment
- Barack Obama was born in Kenya! (And so was Mitt Romney) no kidding...
- The world will not end no matter what happens with this election 1 comment
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments