Cavs open NJCAA national tournament today
Darton enters the NJCAA Division I national tournament with three straight tournament victories, and the Cavs believe they have enough momentum to make a run at a national title.
Richt, Fox optimistic about future seasons
UGA football coach Mark Richt and men’s basketball coach Mark Fox were in Albany as the guests of Georgia’s Alumni Association Monday night.
Dexter Moody signs a free agent contract with Baltimore
Albany State star safety Dexter Moody, who played the last two years for the Rams after previously attending Georgia State and Georgia, signs a free agent contract with the Baltimore Ravens.
Both teams still headed to district tournament
In a matchup between the tournament’s top two seeds, No. 1 Georgia Perimeter claimed the region championship with a 13-3 victory against Darton, wrapping up a tournament in which the Jaguars were dominant from start to finish.
Darton clinches its first trip to the district tournament in program history
Luis Salas hits a walk-off home run in the 10th inning to beat Gordon College, and then Salas and Cavs rally past rival Middle Georgia to earn a spot in today’s Region XVII championship game and clinch their first trip to district in program history.
Darton lost a heartbreaker to rival Middle Georgia to fall into the loser’s bracket
After getting knocked into the loser’s bracket of the Region XVII touranment by Middle Georgia, the Darton baseball team keeps its season alive with a win against ABAC.
Toni Grier signed a scholarship with Division I South Carolina State
Albany Tech sophomore center Shanice Williams and guard Ashley Towns signed with Albany State, while point guard Toni Grier is headed to South Carolina State.
Lee County grad Daniel Nichols helped the Bulldogs beat South Carolina
Herald guest columnist Loran Smith writes about the Georgia baseball team, which defeated South Carolina over the weekend thanks to a Daniel Nichols grand slam.
Football’s Moody, basketball’s Holston earn top awards
Albany State’s athletes were honored recently at the school’s 44th annual all-sports banquet, and women’s basketball star Tip Holston and football standout Dexter Moody received the top honors for the 2013-14 school year.
In a matchup between nationally ranked teams, Darton State College splits with Middle Georgia on Saturday to clinch the No. 2 seed and a first-round bye in next week’s Region XVII tournament.
Jabari McGhee was the 2013 Willie Boston Player of the Year
After spending one season at a prep school in Virginia, former Monroe star and Herald Player of the Year Jabari McGhee is now headed to Tennessee.
Four sign with Division I programs
Darton defender Theo Brown, forward Alejandro Garcia, midfielder/forward George Chirinos, defender/midfielder Enrique Bello and midfielder Alex Torres all signed scholarships on Thursday.
Jameis Winston was reportedly issued a misdemeanor citation Tuesday for allegedly shoplifting crab legs from a Publix supermarket.
Three Titan players head to Concordia, one to Fort Valley and one to Albany State
The Titans finished just 9-21 last season, but Albany Tech has a strong reputation of developing its players and sending them to the next level.
The entire sophomore basketball class at Darton State College signs commitments to four-year schools on Tuesday.
- Former Braves highlight Hall of Fame class
- Jeff Gordon wins for fifth time at Brickyard
- Skip Nichols goes out with win at Thursday Thunder
- MAHONE: Skip Nichols left lasting legacy
- Former Dougherty star Daryl Smith ready for big season with Ravens
- OUTDOORS: Nuisance wildlife requires diligence and persistence
- Georgia Tech depending on new up-the-middle trio
- It's a Georgia-flavored induction weekend at Cooperstown
- Darton's Wesley Griner and Will Myrick to fish in national college tournament
- Deerfield-Windsor freshman Baylin Moore selected to 14U national baseball team
- High school football season kicks off with opening day of conditioning
- Young Meadowcreek baseball coach passes away after heart attack
- Lee County’s Nick Bush commits to LSU
- Herald Player of the Year Mike Green to sign with Albany State
- Terrell Academy finishes runner-up in 7-on-7 tourney
- Hugh Mills Stadium football schedule released
- New hoops coach Jennifer Acree ready to get things going at Monroe
- Lee County OL Chris Barnes named to ESPN Junior 300
- Stadium improvements in full swing at Lee County High School
- Westover's Trent Thompson is nation's top recruit | VIDEO
- Falcons need rookie class to make major contributions
- Mike Minor’s struggles continue
- Evan Gattis returns from DL
- Tiger Woods confident for Ryder Cup selection despite poor British Open showing
- Rory McIlroy completes wire-to-wire Open win
- Atlanta Braves release infielder Dan Uggla
- Braves’ Julio Teheran accomplishes dream of becoming NL All-Star
- Braves jump on Cubs, hold on for win
- Braves ride wind to victory over Cubs
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Mike Minor improving despite winless streak