The Cavs improve to 13-4 with a pair of blowout wins against Lake Michigan Community College, while the Albany State baseball team extends its losing streak to 11 games after getting swept by Edward Waters College.
The Rams hold their own against nationally ranked Division II powerhouse Tampa University on Thursday at home before falling, 4-2. (ADDS: roundup items on Darton softball, baseball; South Georgia Tech men's hoops; Darton-South Georgia Tech women playing in region tournament semis today; Lee County-Chiles baseball; Mitchell County-Albany baseball; Sherwood soccer)
The Albany State football team hit the practice field Wednesday for the first time this spring with both excitement and uncertainty as the Rams have plenty of holes to fill, including their search for a new starting quarterback.
Benedict, the No. 1 seed on the men’s and women’s side of the conference tournament, end the season for both ASU programs Wednesday.(ADDS: Notes on Darton baseball, Darton softball and GSW basketball)
The Lady Rams snap a five-game losing streak with a 73-51 victory against Miles College in the opening round of the conference tournament, while the ASU men hold of a wild Miles comeback to win their own opener. (ADDS: ASU puts three on All-Conference team)
Bainbridge’s April Thomas is second in the conference in scoring, and if she gets help from her teammates, like former Mitchell County star Kedeemya Cooper, the Lady Rams could make some noise in Atlanta.
The Rams have gone through three five-game losing streaks and have had to deal with plenty of distractions in what has been a disappointing regular season heading into today’s conference tourney opener.
LOCAL COLLEGE/PREP ROUNDUP: GSW baseball downs ASU in first meeting of season between SW Ga. rivals; Darton softball splits
Former Deerfield star Justin Lott was dynamite Thursday -- striking out seven --- as he picks up his first win of the season on the mound for GSW in a 7-4 win against neighboring Division II rival Albany State. (ADDS: roundup items ASU basketball falling to Morehouse; on Darton softball; Dougherty baseball; and Sherwood girls soccer)
Academically ineligible to begin the season, Jaren Harris and Justin Wilcox rejoined the Albany State men’s basketball team’s lineup after the Rams got off to a 1-10 start — and since their return, ASU has been a different team.
The No. 12 Lady Cavs find out early Wednesday that they've achieved the program’s highest ranking — then go out and win the Region title. (ADDS: Albany State softball; Albany Tech men, women basketball; note on former Albany High star, current East Georgia College freshman Chasity Mullins)
LOCAL COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton baseball beats ranked Chipola team, moves to 8-4; ASU softball swept; GSW men's tennis scores milestone win
Led by A.J. Sunstrom on the mound, the Cavs score a big early season win Tuesday on the road against No. 20 Chipola.
The ASU men come back to beat the host Panthers, while the Lady Rams lose despite 29 points from former Bainbridge star April Thomas.
The Albany State baseball team is struggling in its first 10 games this season, but a 5-3 loss to 10-2 Saint Leo (Fla.) University suggests the Rams are close to finding their stride.
Albany State is less than a week away from its first spring practice, and the Rams are still in search of a starting quarterback.
The Darton golf team falls apart in the final holes of Sunday’s final round and finishes in fourth in the Faulkner State Invitational, while Cavs sophomore Nick Green wins the individual title by seven strokes. (ADDS: Albany State softball, baseball; GSW baseball)
- Albany State opens practice riding last year's momentum
- Georgia closing in on first scrimmage
- Healthier Fisher opens camp at FSU
- Darton State College soccer teams open preseason camps
- Kenderius Whitehead’s arrival boosts start of Tech’s preseason
- Amber Miles tabbed to lead Lady Cavalier softball program
- Florida State opens season where they left off - at No. 1
- Recovered skill players give Bulldogs many offensive options
- Shanea Armbrister representing Darton at All-Star weekend
- Rams reload with former Albany prep stars
- PREVIEW CAPSULE: Crisp Academy
- PREVIEW CAPSULE: Crisp County
- Westover hopes strong defense will carry team
- PREVIEW CAPSULE: Calhoun County
- PREVIEW CAPSULE: Randolph-Clay
- Lee County opens season with new field, new region
- PREVIEW CAPSULE: Southland Academy
- PREVIEW CAPSULE: Americus-Sumter
- Albany High seeks to put past issues behind
- Westover Patriots begin season No. 1 in Fab 5 Poll