The Rams enter Tuesday’s doubleheader with a season-high four straight wins, but Shorter College puts an end to the winning streak. (ADDS: Darton baseball, Darton softball, GSW golf)
The Lady Rams are now 4-0 and the only undefeated team in the East Division after sweeping Fort Valley on Monday. (ADDS: GSW golf, DWS tennis, DWS golf)
The Albany State baseball extends its winning streak to three games with a pair of victories at home against Clark Atlanta. (ADDS: ASU softball, Darton baseball, Darton softball, Sherwood soccer, DWS soccer)
LOCAL COLLEGE/PREP ROUNDUP: Darton’s Dearth homers again as Lady Cavs sweep; ASU softball off to 2-0 conference start
Hard-hitting Darton freshman Melissa Dearth hits her fifth home run in as many games Tuesday as the Lady Cavs improve to 19-6 overall. (ADDS: roundup items on ASU softball; Lee County, Terrell Academy and SGA baseball; and Sherwood, Monroe, Dougherty soccer)
The Cavs improve to 13-4 with a pair of blowout wins against Lake Michigan Community College, while the Albany State baseball team extends its losing streak to 11 games after getting swept by Edward Waters College.
The Rams hold their own against nationally ranked Division II powerhouse Tampa University on Thursday at home before falling, 4-2. (ADDS: roundup items on Darton softball, baseball; South Georgia Tech men's hoops; Darton-South Georgia Tech women playing in region tournament semis today; Lee County-Chiles baseball; Mitchell County-Albany baseball; Sherwood soccer)
The Albany State football team hit the practice field Wednesday for the first time this spring with both excitement and uncertainty as the Rams have plenty of holes to fill, including their search for a new starting quarterback.
Benedict, the No. 1 seed on the men’s and women’s side of the conference tournament, end the season for both ASU programs Wednesday.(ADDS: Notes on Darton baseball, Darton softball and GSW basketball)
The Lady Rams snap a five-game losing streak with a 73-51 victory against Miles College in the opening round of the conference tournament, while the ASU men hold of a wild Miles comeback to win their own opener. (ADDS: ASU puts three on All-Conference team)
Bainbridge’s April Thomas is second in the conference in scoring, and if she gets help from her teammates, like former Mitchell County star Kedeemya Cooper, the Lady Rams could make some noise in Atlanta.
The Rams have gone through three five-game losing streaks and have had to deal with plenty of distractions in what has been a disappointing regular season heading into today’s conference tourney opener.
LOCAL COLLEGE/PREP ROUNDUP: GSW baseball downs ASU in first meeting of season between SW Ga. rivals; Darton softball splits
Former Deerfield star Justin Lott was dynamite Thursday -- striking out seven --- as he picks up his first win of the season on the mound for GSW in a 7-4 win against neighboring Division II rival Albany State. (ADDS: roundup items ASU basketball falling to Morehouse; on Darton softball; Dougherty baseball; and Sherwood girls soccer)
Academically ineligible to begin the season, Jaren Harris and Justin Wilcox rejoined the Albany State men’s basketball team’s lineup after the Rams got off to a 1-10 start — and since their return, ASU has been a different team.
The No. 12 Lady Cavs find out early Wednesday that they've achieved the program’s highest ranking — then go out and win the Region title. (ADDS: Albany State softball; Albany Tech men, women basketball; note on former Albany High star, current East Georgia College freshman Chasity Mullins)
LOCAL COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton baseball beats ranked Chipola team, moves to 8-4; ASU softball swept; GSW men's tennis scores milestone win
Led by A.J. Sunstrom on the mound, the Cavs score a big early season win Tuesday on the road against No. 20 Chipola.
- Lutzenkirchens still coping with son’s death
- Recruiting frenzy was intense for Trent Thompson
- Sam Madden's trek to Georgia was 'meant to be'
- Albany State University Marching Rams seek funding help for trip to California
- Local girls team benefit from Darton camp
- Linebacker Roquan Smith plans to earn his keep at Georgia
- Georgia Tech, Boston College to open 2016 season in Ireland
- Georgia anxious to improve upon last season
- Albany State Rams anxious to build on 2014
- Lea Henry named Darton interim athletics director
- BOB KORNEGAY: Nothing better than fishing
- South Georgia Beast finishes second at nationals
- After a month of play, U.S. and Japan square off in Women’s World Cup final
- Juan Uribe has been a hit with Atlanta Braves
- ATLANTA BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Julio Teheran continues to pitch well at home
- Roger Federer slips past Sam Groth at Wimbledon
- Mitchell County’s Justin Scott-Wesley has knee surgery
- TOM PURCELL: The importance of the Fourth
- NASCAR’s No. 1 couple set to marry after nearly six years together
- Braves sign two Dominican free agents