The Cavs improve to 13-4 with a pair of blowout wins against Lake Michigan Community College, while the Albany State baseball team extends its losing streak to 11 games after getting swept by Edward Waters College.
The Rams hold their own against nationally ranked Division II powerhouse Tampa University on Thursday at home before falling, 4-2. (ADDS: roundup items on Darton softball, baseball; South Georgia Tech men's hoops; Darton-South Georgia Tech women playing in region tournament semis today; Lee County-Chiles baseball; Mitchell County-Albany baseball; Sherwood soccer)
The Albany State football team hit the practice field Wednesday for the first time this spring with both excitement and uncertainty as the Rams have plenty of holes to fill, including their search for a new starting quarterback.
Benedict, the No. 1 seed on the men’s and women’s side of the conference tournament, end the season for both ASU programs Wednesday.(ADDS: Notes on Darton baseball, Darton softball and GSW basketball)
The Lady Rams snap a five-game losing streak with a 73-51 victory against Miles College in the opening round of the conference tournament, while the ASU men hold of a wild Miles comeback to win their own opener. (ADDS: ASU puts three on All-Conference team)
Bainbridge’s April Thomas is second in the conference in scoring, and if she gets help from her teammates, like former Mitchell County star Kedeemya Cooper, the Lady Rams could make some noise in Atlanta.
The Rams have gone through three five-game losing streaks and have had to deal with plenty of distractions in what has been a disappointing regular season heading into today’s conference tourney opener.
LOCAL COLLEGE/PREP ROUNDUP: GSW baseball downs ASU in first meeting of season between SW Ga. rivals; Darton softball splits
Former Deerfield star Justin Lott was dynamite Thursday -- striking out seven --- as he picks up his first win of the season on the mound for GSW in a 7-4 win against neighboring Division II rival Albany State. (ADDS: roundup items ASU basketball falling to Morehouse; on Darton softball; Dougherty baseball; and Sherwood girls soccer)
Academically ineligible to begin the season, Jaren Harris and Justin Wilcox rejoined the Albany State men’s basketball team’s lineup after the Rams got off to a 1-10 start — and since their return, ASU has been a different team.
The No. 12 Lady Cavs find out early Wednesday that they've achieved the program’s highest ranking — then go out and win the Region title. (ADDS: Albany State softball; Albany Tech men, women basketball; note on former Albany High star, current East Georgia College freshman Chasity Mullins)
LOCAL COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton baseball beats ranked Chipola team, moves to 8-4; ASU softball swept; GSW men's tennis scores milestone win
Led by A.J. Sunstrom on the mound, the Cavs score a big early season win Tuesday on the road against No. 20 Chipola.
The ASU men come back to beat the host Panthers, while the Lady Rams lose despite 29 points from former Bainbridge star April Thomas.
The Albany State baseball team is struggling in its first 10 games this season, but a 5-3 loss to 10-2 Saint Leo (Fla.) University suggests the Rams are close to finding their stride.
Albany State is less than a week away from its first spring practice, and the Rams are still in search of a starting quarterback.
The Darton golf team falls apart in the final holes of Sunday’s final round and finishes in fourth in the Faulkner State Invitational, while Cavs sophomore Nick Green wins the individual title by seven strokes. (ADDS: Albany State softball, baseball; GSW baseball)
- Darton baseball crushes ABAC for 15th straight win
- COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton baseball, softball keep winning streaks alive
- Cavs win district title, punch ticket to nationals
- Darton golf close to 13th straight nationals berth
- Albany State baseball finishes SIAC slate unbeaten
- Ware will transfer to Georgia State
- LOCAL COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Albany State baseball sweeps Paine
- Darton wins 13th straight of season
- Former Southwest Georgia prep stars leading Albany State baseball
- COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton softball returns from break, sweeps South Georgia
- Braves fend off late comeback from Mets
- Hawks take series opener vs. Pacers
- OUTDOORS: Spring planting for wildlife
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Harang emerging as essential pitcher for Atlanta
- Dougherty to name former Harlem Globetrotter Randolph as hoops coach
- BOB KORNEGAY: I hear the guns
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia Fishing - April 19, 2014 weekend
- Four Lee County standouts sign college scholarships
- Phillies' Burnett outduels Braves' Wood for 1-0 victory
- Terrell County runs away with Region 1-A track & field titles