The Atlanta Braves made it interesting against the Los Angeles Dodgers’ bullpen, leaving two runners in scoring position when Kensley Jansen struck out center fielder B.J. Upton to end the game.
Jake Matthews got off to a rough start in his Falcons debut in Atlanta’s 16-10 win against Miami in the preseason opener for both teams.
The Atlanta Braves, who had a merciful day off Monday in Seattle and played late on Tuesday, are 0-6 on an eight-game road trip that finishes with a game tonight against the Mariners.
With Steven Jackson out for training camp with a hamstring injury, the Falcons are turning to fourth-round draft pick Devonta Freeman out of Florida State for more practice reps and an increasing role.
The Braves’ next homestand includes three games with the Nationals, four with the Dodgers and three interleague games with the Oakland A’s.
The Falcons added Devin Hester as a returner, and now they have to get the other 10 players on the field to work in unison with him.
There are some bigger bodies in the trenches this year for the Falcons, especially with the offseason additions of Tyson Jackson and Paul Soliai.
Two youngsters could start in team’s star-studded offense
Onlookers suspected offensive lineman Jake Matthews, the sixth overall pick in the draft would start, but few predicted fourth-round pick Devonta Freeman was in line to be a centerpiece of the first team when the Falcons open the regular season.
A major part of the Falcons’ master plan to rebound in 2014 depends on receiving major contributions from the rookie class.
After Tuesday’s game Mike Minor’s season ERA stands at 5.32 and he’s allowed four or more earned runs in four of his past five starts and opponents have 10 or more hits against him in five of his 14 starts overall.
Evan Gattis’ return beat the early estimated recovery time of at least four weeks, but the real news was that the powerful right-handed hitter was able to avoid potential surgery on a bulging disk.
Tiger Woods believes he deserves a place in the United States Ryder Cup team despite missing the year’s first two majors through injury and finishing dismally at the British Open on Sunday.
McIlroy wins British Open
Rory McIlroy completes the third leg of a career grand slam by winning the British Open on Sunday.
Team will be responsible for the approximate $19 million Uggla is owed
The 34-year-old Dan Uggla has filled a limited reserve role this season since losing his starting job in early May.
In just his second full season in the majors, Braves starting pitcher Julio Teheran, 23, is an All-Star.
- Replacing longtime quarterback starter Charles Stafford at Monroe a big question
- PREVIEW CAPSULE: Crisp Academy
- Westover, Lee County game on ESPNU moved to 9 a.m.
- PREVIEW CAPSULE: Crisp County
- Westover hopes strong defense will carry team
- PREVIEW CAPSULE: Calhoun County
- PREVIEW CAPSULE: Randolph-Clay
- Lee County opens season with new field, new region
- Albany High seeks to put past issues behind
- Westover Patriots begin season No. 1 in Fab 5 Poll
Outdoors in Southwest Georgia
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia fishing - Aug. 22, 2014 weekend
- BOB KORNEGAY: I've been waiting for the railroad
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia fishing - Aug. 16, 2014 weekend
- BOB KORNEGAY: Outdoor 'plumbing' can be plumb dangerous
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia fishing - Aug. 9, 2014 weekend
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia fishing - Aug. 1, 2014 weekend
- BOB KORNEGAY: My companion, Mr. Whiskers
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia fishing - July 18, 2014 weekend
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia fishing - July 12, 2014 weekend
- BOB KORNEGAY: No cure for the bird nerd
- Albany State volleyball releases 2014 schedule
- Albany State opens practice riding last year's momentum
- Georgia closing in on first scrimmage
- Healthier Fisher opens camp at FSU
- Darton State College soccer teams open preseason camps
- Kenderius Whitehead’s arrival boosts start of Tech’s preseason
- Amber Miles tabbed to lead Lady Cavalier softball program
- Florida State opens season where they left off - at No. 1
- Recovered skill players give Bulldogs many offensive options
- Shanea Armbrister representing Darton at All-Star weekend