Outfielder likely to be part of left-field platoon
Jonny Gomes has a .244 career batting average and .335 OBP with 155 homers and 500 RBIs in 1,108 games over parts of 12 seasons with five teams.
Johnson was one of original “Baby Braves” in 2005
Kelly Johnson hit .215 with a .296 OBP and seven homers in 297 plate appearances last season with the Yankees, Red Sox and Orioles and played four positions — three in the infield and left field.
Braves have acquired several top prospects in trading frenzy
Five of the reshuffled top 10 players by Baseball America were acquired in recent trades.
Hawks win 11th straight game
The Atlanta Hawks, who lost to the Raptors twice early in the season, recorded their 10th straight road win, extending a team record.
Bowles considered to be leading candidate
Todd Bowles has been on the Falcons’ radar from the outset of the coaching search, but couldn’t interview until the Cardinals were eliminated from the playoffs.
Sanchez rated the Angels’ No. 3 prospect by Baseball America
The Braves believe Ricardo Sanchez has top-of-the-starting-rotation potential, though his major league arrival could be several years away.
The Hawks go on the market in a few days and there’s already interest in the franchise
The Atlanta Hawks will officially be on the market in a matter of days, with a 100 percent stake in the franchise available, and several prospective buyers have already expressed an interest.
Falcons will interview pair of defensive coordinators this week
The Falcons, who had already sought permission to interview Arizona defensive coordinator Todd Bowles and Detroit defensive coordinator Teryl Austin, will interview with both this week along with former Buffalo coach Doug Marrone.
Former Braves pitcher elected on first attempt
John Smoltz was inducted along with pitchers Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez and second baseman/catcher/outfielder Craig Biggio.
NBA committed to keeping team in Atlanta
According to a person familiar with the deal who was not authorized to speak publicly, agreements have been reached between all three ownership groups — formerly operated under The Atlanta Spirit — to sell their complete stakes in the team.
Team receives starting pitcher Manny Banuelos in return
Manny Banuelos, 23, was rated as one of baseball’s top 30 prospects before the 2011 and 2012 seasons, but is trying to regain his form since having Tommy John elbow surgery in October 2012.
Atlanta can clinch division title by beating Carolina
The winner of Sunday’s game between the Falcons (6-9) and Carolina (6-8-1) will clinch the NFC South and have a home playoff game.
Falcons need to beat Saints and Panthers to make playoffs
The Falcons (5-9) have lost three of four heading into Sunday’s game at New Orleans (6-8).
Ben Roethlisberger throws for 360 yards in Steelers’ victory
The Falcons (5-9) slipped out of first place in the abysmal NFC South and ensured themselves a second straight losing season, but Atlanta can still make the playoffs by winning its final two games against division rivals New Orleans and Carolina.
Falcons encouraged after last Monday’s loss at Green Bay
If the Falcons are feeling positive about a loss, just imagine what kind of high the Steelers must be on after they won an impressive 42-21 victory at Cincinnati that pulled them within a half-game of division-leading Bengals in the jumbled AFC North.
- Terrell Academy steals pair of victories at Deerfield-Windsor
- PREP BASKETBALL ROUNDUP: Monroe boys score big win over Bainbridge
- Albany High girls fall to Cook
- Monroe boys undone by turnovers against Cairo
- Bainbridge teams top Dougherty
- HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL ROUNDUP: Westover boys topple Thomas County Central
- Sherwood Christian's Juwan Henderson has Eagles playing strong
- HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL: Herald 'Prep Peek'
- PREP BASKETBALL NOTEBOOK: Charles Porter’s shooting bright spot for Dougherty
- Westwood girls top Southland to improve to 17-0
Outdoors in Southwest Georgia
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia fishing - Jan. 24, 2015 weekend
- BOB KORNEGAY: You can't always take things literally
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia fishing - Jan. 16, 2015 weekend
- End of deer season perfect for small-game hunters
- BOB KORNEGAY: Birding is starting to make me hungry
- BOB KORNEGAY: Bologna definition is pure baloney
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia fishing - Dec. 26, 2014 weekend
- BOB KORNEGAY: Raise a glass to a life well-spent
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia fishing - Dec. 19, 2014 weekend
- BOB KORNEGAY: A letter to Luther
- Darton women rebound to pound Andrew
- Albany State Lady Rams basketball team has two pairs of sisters
- J.J. Frazier keys Georgia Bulldogs past Mississippi State
- LOCAL COLLEGE NOTES: Albany Tech team looking to climb region rankings
- Albany Tech men hold on to top Central Georgia
- Georgia Bulldogs top Mississippi in SEC play
- LOCAL COLLEGE BASKETBALL NOTEBOOK: Albany State basketball teams continue to improve
- Marcus Thornton helps Georgia tops Florida
- Albany State men hold off Miles
- LOCAL COLLEGE BASKETBALL ROUNDUP: ASU Lady Rams defeat Miles