Caldwell Jones was one of six brothers who played center at ASU and one of four to play in the NBA
Albany State’s Caldwell Jones played 17 years of professional basketball, from 1973 until 1990.
John Hart, former GM at Cleveland and Texas, will serve as interim general manager
Atlanta Braves President John Schuerholz, interim GM John Hart and Hall-of-Fame manager Bobby Cox will be the committee that picks the Atlanta club’s next general manager.
Atlanta played three games in 12 days
After finishing a disappointing 4-12 last season, a good start was a high priority for the franchise, which soon will begin selling premium-seat licenses for the new stadium.
The starting pitcher is good to great but the Braves lose because the offense is bad to awful.
With former Atlanta Falcon Deion Sanders in the stadium, Devin Hester returned a punt 62 yards for a touchdown in the second quarter, high-stepping the final yards for the 20th return touchdown of his career, breaking Sanders’ record of 19 touchdown returns and gave the Falcons a commanding 35-0 lead in the first half.
Quarterback three three interceptions against Bengals last week
Matt Ryan had a sub-50 passer rating for only the fourth time in his career against Cincinnati, over 96 regular-season games.
As Braves struggle, Nationals clinch division title
The Braves are 58-69 since a 17-7 start and they’re under .500 for the first time since losing their season opener.
The new Atlanta Braves' home in Cobb County was officially named Tuesday in an announcement by the club and SunTrust
Falcons struggle aginst more-physical Bengals
Cincinnati had more than 400 yards in offense by midway through the third quarter and pretty much shut it down after taking a 24-3 lead with a quarter plus 6:28 minutes left.
Falcons’ offense struggles on the road
Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan, coming off one of the best performances of his career last week against New Orleans, mostly struggled Sunday, going 24 of 44 for 231 yards and a touchdown with three interceptions.
Rangers beat punchless Braves, 3-2
Sunday’s final game with the Braves (75-73) provides the Rangers with the opportunity to sweep an opponent, which Texas has not done since mid-April against the Oakland Athletics.
Questions about the catcher have been answered
Christian Bethancourt has only 65 plate appearances and one extra-base hit in the majors this season, but he has batted .272 and his 17 hits include more than his share in key situations.
Braves’ shortstop replaced in lineup on Wednesday
After hitting .248 with 50 extra-base hits including 17 home runs and a .692 on-base-plus-slugging percentage in 2013, the Gold Glove shortstop Andrelton Simmons has hit .238 with 26 extra-base hits (seven homers) and a .611 OPS in 2014.
Braves finish game with 13 hits
The first-place Washington Nationals (82-62) are still eight games ahead of the second-place Atlanta Braves (75-71), who are 10-6 against Washington this year.
Remarks about Luol Deng were made in a June conference call
Danny Ferry’s comments were part of a chain of events that led to Hawks majority owner Bruce Levenson putting his controlling interest in the team up for sale.
- Monroe moves back into Fab 5 poll
- Albany Herald People's Choice High School Football Player of the Week - week 4
- PREP FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Mental errors cost Westover in loss to Cairo
- Monroe scores nonregion win over Liberty County
- Lee County routs Terrell County, 51-6
- PREP FOOTBALL ROUNDUP: Americus-Sumter tops Albany in thriller
- Cairo slips past Westover in OT
- Friday's Prep Football Capsules
- Monroe's Antonio Leroy following in father's footsteps
- ALBANY HERALD FOOTBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Deerfield-Windsor quarterback Tyler Lowe
Outdoors in Southwest Georgia
- BOB KORNEGAY: The woes of duck floating
- Cancer survivor Ryan Carr living life to the fullest
- Feral hogs pose numerous problems
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia fishing - Sept. 20, 2014 weekend
- BOB KORNEGAY: Oh, those vexing baitcasters
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia fishing - Sept. 6, 2014 weekend
- BOB KORNEGAY: Not all cuckoos are in the mangroves
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia fishing - Aug. 29, 2014 weekend
- OUTDOORS: Where and how for Southwest Georgia trophy cats
- BOB KORNEGAY: Not heeding a lesson can leave you rattled
- Albany State basketball legend Caldwell Jones dies at the age of 64
- Winston to return as FSU quarterback today
- Georgia Bulldogs rebound, rout Troy 66-0
- Georgia Tech’s last-second field goal sinks Va. Tech, 27-24
- Alabama takes over in second half to pound Florida
- Williams’ TD run send FSU past Clemson in overtime
- College football playoff teams selection process to have Georgia influence
- Virginia Tech puts East Carolina behind, looks forward to Georgia Tech
- Troy has Georgia’s attention
- Auburn holds off Kansas State, 20-14