The city of Albany has terminated its lease agreement with the Albany Panthers, but meetings between the team and city officials are planned this week with the hope that a deal will be reached to keep the team in Albany.
The Atlanta Braves agreed to terms with first baseman Freddie Freeman and outfielder Jason Heyward, avoiding salary arbitration with the stars.
In a dominating performance from start to finish, the Seattle Seahawks beat the Denver Broncos, 43-8, to win Super Bowl XLVIII.
Monroe grad Ricardo Lockette is one of the Seattle Seahawks’ top players on special teams
Monroe grad Ricardo Lockette’s journey to Super Bowl XLVIII as a receiver for the Seattle Seahawks hasn’t always been easy, but it’s one that has made him, his parents and his community proud.
Albany's Professional Indoor Football League team needs to raise $100,000 in the next week or it will be forced to cancel the 2014 season.
A pro career that began with an Aug. 31, 1997, game at Denver ends today in Hawaii as Tony Gonzalez — an Atlanta Falcon for the past five seasons — makes his 14th appearance in the Pro Bowl.
The Hawks signed DeMarre Carroll to a two-year, $5 million contract over the summer and entrusted him with the task of defending the opposition’s top players.
Chipper Jones to be rancher in Texas
After a year of golfing, hanging with his sons, and watching a lot of baseball, former Braves star Chipper Jones is ready to roll his sleeves up again — as a rancher.
The Hawks have struggled in the seven games without Al Horford to replace what had been a staple of the offense, but they are slowly learning to play without him.
The Falcons are hoping they’ll get a cornerstone for their revival with a top 10 pick in this year’s draft.
Falcons owner Arthur Blank restated the team’s commitment to power football and they took another step in that direction when they reached a two-year deal with Mike Tice to become their offensive line coach.
Looking back on the Falcons’ season, some of the factors that led to their free fall from atop the NFC to last place in the NFC South with a 4-12 record included injuries, coaching/medical decisions, lack of depth and lack of proven talent along the lines of scrimmage.
The Panthers pummeled Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan for nine sacks and captured their first division title since 2008 with a 21-20 win over the Falcons on Sunday at the Georgia Dome.
Hawks center Al Horford will be lost, likely for the season, after suffering a complete tear of his right pectoral muscle.
Atlanta doesn’t have any postseason motivation, but the Falcons would like to send off tight end Tony Gonzalez on a high note as he wraps up what he says will be his final season.
- Sherwood's Christina Charles signs soccer scholarship with Truett-McConnell
- Randolph-Clay QB Caleb McFather inks with Reinhardt
- Lee County’s Irby signs with St. Augustine’s University
- Deerfield baseball opens season with shutout of TAE
- Crisp County’s Tyler named SEC Freshman of the Week
- Crisp Academy dominates on way to state title
- Westwood girls repeat as GISA Class AA champs
- Crisp Academy girls cruise into GISA Class A finals
- Westwood girls hold on, top Arlington Christian in state semis
- CHAMPS!!!: Randolph-Clay girls dominate Mitchell County for state title
Outdoors in Southwest Georgia
- OUTDOORS COLUMN: Some things just seem meant to happen
- Southwest Georgia fishing reports - March 2, 1014
- OUTDOORS: Troubleshoot boats before fishing season heats up
- OUTDOORS COLUMN: Crazy about the outdoors
- OUTDOORS: How to get a head start on deer season
- OUTDOORS COLUMN: Medical procedures have come a long way
- OUTDOORS COLUMN: Cupid throws a curve
- OUTDOORS: Do pen-raised quail supplement wild-bred populations?
- OUTDOORS COLUMN: Quietly look, quietly listen
- In its sixth decade, hunting is still strong at Riverview Plantation
- Kentucky ousts UGA, advances to SEC title game vs. Florida
- Lady Rams can't slow down Nova Southeastern in region semifinals
- Albany State women win NCAA Tournament opener with late comeback
- Albany State women leaning on faith, unity for NCAA Tournament opener
- Columbus State pounds Albany State
- Tournament Time
- Darton swimming finishes 2nd, 4th in nationals
- Darton baseball rallies to upend East Georgia College
- Georgia enters SEC Tournament with same record as Kentucky
- Lady Rams earn No. 5 seed in NCAA Division II Tournament