Guard Jeff Teague scored a game-high 25 points, leading four Atlanta starters in double figures as the Hawks stunned the Indiana Pacers 107-88 Sunday night.
Washington shortstop Ian Desmond blasted the first pitch from Atlanta Braves starter Alex Wood in the last of the seventh for a leadoff home run to left field to break a 1-1 tie and the Nationals won 2-1 Sunday to salvage the final game of the three-game set.
Freddie Freeman said he was only 7 or 8 years old when his father, Fred, began to bake into his young mind the hitting approach the Braves first baseman uses to this day.
Dan Uggla showed signs of a turnaround in spring training, batting .269 with four home runs and 14 RBIs in 22 spring games, and despite a slow start this season manager Fredi Gonzalez is encouraged.
After his Pro Day workout at South Carolina’s Williams-Brice Stadium on Wednesday, Jadeveon Clowney said the Falcons had been in touch to set up a private workout.
Hawks percentage points out of playoff spot
With Wednesday’s loss to the Bulls, the Hawks (32-42, .432) fell .002 percentage points behind the Knicks (33-43, .434) for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.
Braves pitcher Ervin Santana is scheduled to pitch five or six innings for Gwinnett on Friday in what might be his last build-up start before the former All-Star joins the rotation.
Right-hander Aaron Harang was brilliant Wednesday afternoon, throwing a no-hitter through six innings as the Braves beat the Brewers 1-0.
The Bulls pull away late from the Hawks, who have now lost seven of their last eight.
Ryan Buchter officially became a major-leaguer when he was chosen for the Braves’ 25-man opening day roster, only five days after the big left-hander had been sent to Triple-A.
Freddie Freeman added to Atlanta’s advantage with solo homers in the sixth and eighth innings.
Brewers spoil Braves’ season opener
Yovani Gollardo limited the Braves to four hits and two walks and improved to 5-1 with a 1.78 ERA in eight career meetings with Atlanta.
Hale impressed in his first two major league starts last year, allowing only one run in 13 innings against the Padres and the Phillies.
Tommy John surgery could be on the horizon for Cory Gearrin, who would become the third Braves pitcher to undergo the season-ending procedure this spring.
Braves hope thin pitching staff can keep them on top of division
With the National League East featuring some of the most dominant starting pitching in baseball, the Atlanta Braves hope to stay in chase.
- Terrell County runs away with Region 1-A track & field titles
- Westover sweeps Region 1-AAAA meet; Bainbridge boys take 1-AAAAA title
- Deerfield-Windsor track & field teams roll to region titles
- Three SW Georgia schools ask GHSA to reconsider classification
- Glover’s big game leads Deerfield past Southland
- Monroe girls, Westover boys take Westover Relays
- O'Neal leading Patriots into Westover Relays
- PREP NOTEBOOK: Miller County's Killingsworth ponders next move after resignation
- Worth County maintains pace, tops Monroe
- Lee County's Chavarria leads by example
Outdoors in Southwest Georgia
- BOB KORNEGAY: A treatise on crickets
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia fishing - Weekend April 12, 2014
- BOB KORNEGAY: Camp cooking leaves much to be desired
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia lakes and river fishing rated fair this week
- BOB KORNEGAY: Why didn't I ask why first?
- Southwest Georgia Fishing Reports - March 22, 2014
- OUTDOORS COLUMN: Some things just seem meant to happen
- Southwest Georgia fishing reports - March 2, 1014
- OUTDOORS: Troubleshoot boats before fishing season heats up
- OUTDOORS COLUMN: Crazy about the outdoors
- Darton baseball crushes ABAC for 15th straight win
- COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton baseball, softball keep winning streaks alive
- Cavs win district title, punch ticket to nationals
- Darton golf close to 13th straight nationals berth
- Albany State baseball finishes SIAC slate unbeaten
- Ware will transfer to Georgia State
- LOCAL COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Albany State baseball sweeps Paine
- Darton wins 13th straight of season
- Former Southwest Georgia prep stars leading Albany State baseball
- COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton softball returns from break, sweeps South Georgia