Lester interested in playing in Atlanta
Jon Lester is being pursued by at least a half-dozen teams, with the Cubs, Blue Jays and his longtime former team, the Red Sox, expected to engage in a bidding war that some believe will push the price tag closer to $25 million annually.
After Cincinnati Bengals tight end Jermaine Gresham scored a touchdown in the third quarter against the New Orleans Saints, he casually tossed the ball to the only Bengals fan he saw. It was a woman wearing an A.J. Green jersey.
Atlanta moves into first-place tie in NFC South with New Orleans
Matt Bryant’s 44-yard field goal with 2:08 left put Atlanta ahead for good, and the Falcons withstood a late Carolina rally.
Despite strong numbers, Ryan and Falcons are still struggling
Atlanta has won just seven of 25 games over the past two seasons, including a 3-6 mark this year.
Buster Posey makes appearance at Lee Counting meeting
As promised, a special homegrown guest arrives at a Lee County Chamber dinner.
Club will look hard at more starting pitching
The Braves’ offseason priority is to acquire a couple of pitchers who could step into their rotation, and they’re positioned better to do that via trades than free agency.
There's still a lot of winning left for team to do, but Sunday's victory was a start
Beating the struggling Tampa Bay Buccaneers 27-17 on Sunday may not guarantee they’ve resolved all of their issues, however it was exactly what the team needed coming off an open date that allowed more time than usual to stew over blowing a 21-point lead in a loss to Detroit two weeks ago.
Last year has been tough for Falcons’ wide receiver
Difficulties on and off the field have affected Roddy White, who seemed to wear a constant smile from the time Atlanta drafted him in the first round of 2005 through the Falcons’ 13-3 season of 2012.
Pitcher has week to accept or decline offer
If Ervin Santana takes the offer, he’d be the Braves’ highest-paid player in 2015, but with a salary not out of line for a pitcher of his ilk.
After a tumultuous offseason, team pulling out all stops
Aware the team needed to make amends, management pulled out all the stops Saturday, giving away T-shirts, a $10 voucher for future tickets and a performance by rapper T.I.
Team has bye this week before visiting Tampa Bay on Nov. 9
Coach Mike Smith insists his team has the players and schemes to make a playoff run, but the Falcons (2-6) have dropped five straight and are on course to finish 4-12 for the second straight year.
Hitting coach helped turn Blue Jays’ offense around
In their only season under Kevin Seitzer, Blue Jays hitters were fourth in the American League in runs (723) and average (.259), second in OPS (.736) and homers (177), and third in OBP (.323) and slugging percentage (.414).
Lions erase 21-point halftime deficit
Matt Ryan threw two first-quarter touchdown passes but Atlanta (2-6) lost for the fifth consecutive time.
Injuries on offensive front have slowed the team
Wide receiver Julio Jones believes he can be available early against a lot of man-to-man coverage.
Braves will explore options in outfield
With Justin Upton and Jason Heyward eligible for free agency after next season, with B.J. Upton two years into a five-year, $75.25 million contract the Braves are desperate to shed, there’s a chance that at least one or even two of them could be moved this offseason.
- Dougherty girls top Albany after slow start
- Bainbridge tops Westover girls to take over first-place
- PREP BASKETBALL ROUNDUP: Westwood girls top Deerfield-Windsor
- Americus-Sumter teams sweep past Monroe
- Westover's Trent Thompson named 247 Sports Player of the year
- Terrell Academy steals pair of victories at Deerfield-Windsor
- PREP BASKETBALL ROUNDUP: Monroe boys score big win over Bainbridge
- Albany High girls fall to Cook
- Monroe boys undone by turnovers against Cairo
- Bainbridge teams top Dougherty
Outdoors in Southwest Georgia
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia fishing - Jan. 24, 2015 weekend
- BOB KORNEGAY: You can't always take things literally
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia fishing - Jan. 16, 2015 weekend
- End of deer season perfect for small-game hunters
- BOB KORNEGAY: Birding is starting to make me hungry
- BOB KORNEGAY: Bologna definition is pure baloney
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia fishing - Dec. 26, 2014 weekend
- BOB KORNEGAY: Raise a glass to a life well-spent
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia fishing - Dec. 19, 2014 weekend
- BOB KORNEGAY: A letter to Luther
- LOCAL BASKETBALL ROUNDUP: Albany Tech sweeps Chattahoochee Tech
- Georgia Bulldogs top Vanderbilt for fifth straight victory
- Darton baseball ready to build on last year’s run
- Albany State women scorch visiting Claflin
- Albany State men fall to Claflin
- Darton women rebound to pound Andrew
- Albany State Lady Rams basketball team has two pairs of sisters
- J.J. Frazier keys Georgia Bulldogs past Mississippi State
- LOCAL COLLEGE NOTES: Albany Tech team looking to climb region rankings
- Albany Tech men hold on to top Central Georgia