Two youngsters could start in team’s star-studded offense
Onlookers suspected offensive lineman Jake Matthews, the sixth overall pick in the draft would start, but few predicted fourth-round pick Devonta Freeman was in line to be a centerpiece of the first team when the Falcons open the regular season.
A major part of the Falcons’ master plan to rebound in 2014 depends on receiving major contributions from the rookie class.
After Tuesday’s game Mike Minor’s season ERA stands at 5.32 and he’s allowed four or more earned runs in four of his past five starts and opponents have 10 or more hits against him in five of his 14 starts overall.
Evan Gattis’ return beat the early estimated recovery time of at least four weeks, but the real news was that the powerful right-handed hitter was able to avoid potential surgery on a bulging disk.
Tiger Woods believes he deserves a place in the United States Ryder Cup team despite missing the year’s first two majors through injury and finishing dismally at the British Open on Sunday.
McIlroy wins British Open
Rory McIlroy completes the third leg of a career grand slam by winning the British Open on Sunday.
Team will be responsible for the approximate $19 million Uggla is owed
The 34-year-old Dan Uggla has filled a limited reserve role this season since losing his starting job in early May.
In just his second full season in the majors, Braves starting pitcher Julio Teheran, 23, is an All-Star.
The Atlanta Braves (52-43) entered the break sharing the National League East lead with the Washington Nationals, while the last-place Cubs (40-54) fell 12 games behind the NL Central-leading Milwaukee Brewers.
Atlanta used Chris Johnson’s two home runs and a surprise home run from starting pitcher Mike Minor in a decisive six-run fourth inning to beat the Chicago Cubs 11-6.
Mike Minor is winless since May 19
Mike Minor’s winless streak reached nine starts Monday night, but the Atlanta Braves left-hander made some sizable progress in turning around a disappointing season.
Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez was ejected in Monday’s loss to the Mets for arguing after umpires overturned an out call at second base.
Former Brave Martin Prado has been warmly greeted at Turner Field this weekend.
Former Gold Glove winner Jason Heyward honored for defense
Jason Heyward was named major league Defensive Player of the Month for June by ESPN.com’s SweetSpot blog, which uses sophisticated statistical analysis and a voting panel to determine a winner.
Tommy La Stella is second among NL rookies in hitting
On a team that often relies on home runs to score and struggles with situational hitting, Tommy La Stella is patient, focuses on making contact and is surging again after a slump.
- PREP FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Mental errors cost Westover in loss to Cairo
- Monroe scores nonregion win over Liberty County
- Lee County routs Terrell County, 51-6
- PREP FOOTBALL ROUNDUP: Americus-Sumter tops Albany in thriller
- Cairo slips past Westover in OT
- Friday's Prep Football Capsules
- Monroe's Antonio Leroy following in father's footsteps
- ALBANY HERALD FOOTBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Deerfield-Windsor quarterback Tyler Lowe
- Crisp County halts Dougherty’s momentum, takes 28-14 victory
- Sherwood Christian’s football game canceled
Outdoors in Southwest Georgia
- BOB KORNEGAY: The woes of duck floating
- Cancer survivor Ryan Carr living life to the fullest
- Feral hogs pose numerous problems
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia fishing - Sept. 20, 2014 weekend
- BOB KORNEGAY: Oh, those vexing baitcasters
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia fishing - Sept. 6, 2014 weekend
- BOB KORNEGAY: Not all cuckoos are in the mangroves
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia fishing - Aug. 29, 2014 weekend
- OUTDOORS: Where and how for Southwest Georgia trophy cats
- BOB KORNEGAY: Not heeding a lesson can leave you rattled
- Georgia Bulldogs rebound, rout Troy 66-0
- Georgia Tech’s last-second field goal sinks Va. Tech, 27-24
- Alabama takes over in second half to pound Florida
- College football playoff teams selection process to have Georgia influence
- Virginia Tech puts East Carolina behind, looks forward to Georgia Tech
- Troy has Georgia’s attention
- Auburn holds off Kansas State, 20-14
- Georgia tailback jockey for reps behind Todd Gurley
- FSU benches quarterback Jameis Winston against Clemson for a half
- Kansas State's Tyler Lockett poses issues for Auburn secondary