Tommy John surgery could be on the horizon for Cory Gearrin, who would become the third Braves pitcher to undergo the season-ending procedure this spring.
Braves hope thin pitching staff can keep them on top of division
With the National League East featuring some of the most dominant starting pitching in baseball, the Atlanta Braves hope to stay in chase.
Uggla anxious to put last two years behind
Dan Uggla led the National League with 11 walks and ranked among NL leaders in homers (four) and RBIs (team-high 14) before Thursday’s final game of spring training.
Stadium will have ‘more-intimate’ experience than Turner Field
Populous principal Earl Santee described a stadium that will be built in “a natural bowl” on the hilly, forested site, likely facing south toward Atlanta.
After missing the first three weeks of the Grapefruit League schedule, Tyler Pastornicky had just enough time to show Braves officials he’s recovered from September knee surgery and ready to play.
Julio Teheran worked out of a couple of jams, didn’t issue any unintentional walks, gave up two runs in six innings, and struck out nine batters including two apiece in three different innings in his final spring-training start.
Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones is running, and his recovery from October foot surgery is ahead of schedule.
B.J. Upton has shown some encouraging signs, carrying a .350 OBP and four stolen bases through 18 games before going 0-for-4 on Tuesday to drop his batting average to .259.
Manager Fredi Gonzalez said the Braves plan to start Julio Teheran, Alex Wood and Aaron Harang in that order against Milwaukee in the season-opening series that begins Sunday at Milwaukee
The Braves can go with four starters until April 12 because of off days and Ervin Santana hopes to slot in then.
Uggla hit his fourth homer of the spring Saturday
Dan Uggla has twice as many home runs and more than three times as many walks as last spring training, and Braves officials aren’t even bothering to knock on wood anymore when they say they’re encouraged by his progress.
Alex Wood was drafted by the Braves out of Georgia in 2012
Herald guest columnist Loran Smith writes about young Braves pitcher and former Georgia star Alex Wood, who has had an impressive spring.
Teheran went 14-8 with a 3.20 ERA last season
Right-hander Julio Teheran will start on opening day for the Atlanta Braves on March 31 against the Milwaukee Brewers.
Atlanta Braves right-handed pitcher Brandon Beachy will have Tommy John surgery in his right elbow for the second time and is expected to miss the entire season.
Medlen has second Tommy John surgery of career
Instead of pitching Opening Day as he was projected to do, Kris Medlen’s season is over, and now he’ll begin the fight to prolong his career.
- Dougherty to name former Harlem Globetrotter Randolph as hoops coach
- Four Lee County standouts sign college scholarships
- Terrell County runs away with Region 1-A track & field titles
- Westover sweeps Region 1-AAAA meet; Bainbridge boys take 1-AAAAA title
- Deerfield-Windsor track & field teams roll to region titles
- Three SW Georgia schools ask GHSA to reconsider classification
- Glover’s big game leads Deerfield past Southland
- Monroe girls, Westover boys take Westover Relays
- O'Neal leading Patriots into Westover Relays
- PREP NOTEBOOK: Miller County's Killingsworth ponders next move after resignation
Outdoors in Southwest Georgia
- BOB KORNEGAY: I hear the guns
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia Fishing - April 19, 2014 weekend
- BOB KORNEGAY: A treatise on crickets
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia fishing - Weekend April 12, 2014
- BOB KORNEGAY: Camp cooking leaves much to be desired
- HOW THEY'RE BITIN': Southwest Georgia lakes and river fishing rated fair this week
- BOB KORNEGAY: Why didn't I ask why first?
- Southwest Georgia Fishing Reports - March 22, 2014
- OUTDOORS COLUMN: Some things just seem meant to happen
- Southwest Georgia fishing reports - March 2, 1014
- Lady Rams settle for No. 2 seed
- Darton baseball sets school record with 17th straight win
- Darton baseball crushes ABAC for 15th straight win
- COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton baseball, softball keep winning streaks alive
- Cavs win district title, punch ticket to nationals
- Darton golf close to 13th straight nationals berth
- Albany State baseball finishes SIAC slate unbeaten
- Ware will transfer to Georgia State
- LOCAL COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Albany State baseball sweeps Paine
- Darton wins 13th straight of season