A roundup of events around Georgia,
Albany competition offers college scholarships to winners
Albany hosts Kiwanis Art & Music Showcase scholarship competition for the first time.
In the hour before the Flags Over VSU rally Friday, law enforcement officers and rally-goers took positions along the rally route on North Patterson Street.
Valdosta police say documentation shows Eric Sheppard Jr. bought the gun found on-campus at Valdosta State University.
News items from around the state
Grady Health System to pay state $2.95 million over Medicaid dispute; Georgia’s U.S. senators vote against new attorney general; Albany Goodwill Center to host resource and career fairs.
Lee County woman was one of five killed Wednesday in multi-vehicle wreck
Morgan Bass of Leesburg and four of her fellow students were killed Wednesday in a seven-vehicle pileup before dawn Wednesday on Interstate Highway 16 in Bryan County.
Information on Affleck's ancestor was cut from PBS episode
The ancestor that actor Ben Affleck asked PBS to cut from an episode of “Finding Your Roots” has been identified as Benjamin L. Cole, a “prominent citizen” of 19th-century Savannah and former sheriff of Chatham County who at one time owned 25 slaves.
The raptor almost disappeared from Georgia 40 years ago
After being close to absent altogether from Georgia four decades ago, bald eagles are flourishing in the state. this year’s survey by the Department of Natural Resources reveals record numbers of nestin areas, successful nests and young fledged.
Eric Sheppard Jr. has eluded capture by authorities after denouncing whites, Christians and Muslims
As law enforcement continued Wednesday to search for Eric Sheppard Jr., a protester linked to a handgun found on campus Tuesday, the protester’s father, Eric Sheppard Sr., called for his son to surrender.
VSU police found handgun in backpack near the on-campus library
A hunt is under way for demonstrator Eric Sheppard, who Valdosta State University officials say has been linked to a handgun found on campus. It’s the latest controversy that has erupted at the university since Friday’s protest in which a veteran tried to foil protesters who were stomping on the American flag.
A wrapup of news from around the state of Georgia.
Military veteran/Playboy model banned from Valdosta State for disupting U.S. flag-stomping protest plans rally
Michelle Manhart says she supports a constitutional amendment against flag desecration.
Input sought from more than 3,500 peanut producers
The survey can be accessed online through a link on the Georgia Peanut Commission’s website at www.gapeanuts.com.
Georgia Center for Oncology Reserach and Education is important state-wide partner
One of the many ways the Georgia Center for Oncology Research and Education (CORE) is helping cancer patients and their families deal handle the difficulty of dealing with a diagnosis, is through various statewide partnerships that help offer a variety of programs and services.
Georgia spends $18.48 per capita on public health
Georgia ranks 37th among states in per capita spending on public health, according to a newly released report.
- CHRIS CLARK: 'Finish the drill' on Georgia transportation funding
- Rep. Ed Rynders reappointed to OneGeorgia Overview Commission
- Unemployment rates rise in January for metro Albany, Southwest Georgia
- Georgia company recalling pecan product because of possible salmonella
- Georgia given poor grades in fight against smoking
- Business Portfolio - Jan. 25, 2015
- Joel Wernick named to Georgia Trends Magazine's 100 Most Influential list
- Heritage, four other area businesses named to Georgia Trend's Top 100 public businesses
- Georgia unemployment rate up from July
- Metro Albany again leads state in lowest gas prices
Read the latest national news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, GA and albanyherald.com
- Keurig recalls more than 7 million brewing machines
- Facebook's privacy update: 5 things to know
- First U.S. Ebola case confirmed
- Eric Holder leaving U.S. attorney general post
- U2 releases new album for free on iTunes
- 'All clear' at U.S. Army's Fort Lee in Virginia after report of shooter
- U.S. Sen. Saxby Chambliss urges White House to declassify info on exchanged Gitmo prisoners | VIDEO & POLL
- U.S. Rep. Sanford Bishop concerned over potential impact of new carbon emission rules
- Florida commuter accused of shutting down motorists' cell phones
- Two inmates killed, 100-150 inmates and guards hurt in North Florida jail explosion
- BLOG: Despite lack of skilled manufacturing in U.S., Apple to make new Mac line here
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Wealth gap growing between Congressmen and constituents? Not in SOWEGA, at least not on paper