Agency serves Southwestern Judicial Circuit
Amy Boney, director of the Lighthouse Children’s Advocacy Center in Americus, addressed members of the Exchange Club of Albany Friday.
Participants worry that south Georgia is being left behind in regard to medical care
Rural Georgia is facing a health care crisis, but unless you live in some of these impoverished areas of the state and have experienced a 30-minute drive just to see a medical care provider, most Georgians seem blissfully unaware of the dire situation.
Here is how the Georgia delegation to Congress voted last week
This is a report on how Georgia’s delegation to the U.S. House and Senate voted in the previous week.
GAE says the referendum would cost communities local control of their schools
Georgia Association of Educators President Sid Chapman made his annual visit to Albany this week to lay out the group’s wish list for next year’s session of the General Assembly.
Johnson is scheduled to be put to death on Nov. 19
The evidence was circumstantial and there are problems with what was presented to the jury that convicted Albany’s Marcus Ray Johnson and sentenced him to die, his attorney wrote in a petition for clemency.
A roundup of news from around the state of Georgia.
The chancellor will also recommend naming Art Dunning permanent president of the combined institutions
University System of Georgia Chancellor Hank Huckaby will recommend the consolidation of Albany State University and Darton State College at the USG Board of Regents monthly meeting in Atlanta on Tuesday.
Albany Area Arts Council annual show features work from area college students
This Friday art lovers will have a chance to see work produced from dozens of area college students as the Albany Area Arts Council opens its annual South Georgia College Arts Competition at the arts council’s Carnegie Library headquarters.
Georgia's preterm birth date 9.6 percent
Georgia’s preterm birth rate was 10.8 percent in 2014, according to the National Center for Health Statistics. That rate places Georgia 44th among the states.
ASU's drop was the steepest among 30 University System of Georgia schools
According to Fall 2015 enrollment figures released Thursday by the University System of Georgia, Albany State University’s enrollment dropped 10.7 percent from a similar period in 2014 — the largest decline among 30 USG schools
Execution date scheduled next day
The State Board of Pardons and Paroles has set a clemency hearing for condemned killer Marcus Ray Johnson.
Georgia Water Coalition says Sabal Pipeline risky for SOWEGA
As a proposed 500-mile natural gas pipeline that would run through the heart of Southwest Georgia moves closer to becoming a reality, the state’s leading water quality watchdog group has weighed in by listing the project as one of Georgia’s top water threats.
Jim Edward Lowery escaped from a prison van Tuesday
Jim Edward Lowery, accused of killing Montgomery County Sheriff Ladson O’Connor in June, escaped from a prison van during transport and was recaptured 12 hours later.
Open enrollment begins Monday
More than 540,000 Georgians signed up for coverage in 2015 in the health insurance exchange, which was created under the Affordable Care Act. Dante McKay, state director of Enroll America, said that he hopes Georgia at least equals that total or exceeds it for 2016.
Infant mortality serious problem in Georgia
In a review of Georgia’s data for 2002 to 2006, disorders related to short gestation periods and low birth weight stood out as the leading causes of infant mortality.
- America's eating habits becoming increasingly more unhealthy | PHOTOS
- Custom Ag Formulators building facility in Adel
- Thrush Aircraft declares Summer Tour 2015 a success
- Brewer AB InBev seeks $275 billion tie-up with SABMiller
- Georgia Briefs
- Georgia Business Briefly
- Business & Markets Briefly
- Impact of potential health care subsidy removal under King v. Burwell shown in recent figures
- Fewer Vidalia onions expected this season
- German auto parts manufacturer bringing 200 jobs to North Georgia
Read the latest national news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, GA and albanyherald.com
- VP Joe Biden will not seek Democratic nomination for president in 2016
- Multiple people killed, wounded as gunman opens fire at Oregon college
- Two Virginia television journalists fatally shot in live on-air attack
- Former President Jimmy Carter says cancer has spread to brain
- Civil rights icon Julian Bond dead at age of 75
- Gunman dead, 3 injured at movie theater shooting in Nashville suburb
- Man accused of killing nine at South Carolina church captured
- Keurig recalls more than 7 million brewing machines
- Facebook's privacy update: 5 things to know
- First U.S. Ebola case confirmed
- BLOG: Despite lack of skilled manufacturing in U.S., Apple to make new Mac line here 1 comment
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Wealth gap growing between Congressmen and constituents? Not in SOWEGA, at least not on paper