The United States and partner nations are carrying out the first air strikes against Islamic State targets in Syria, the Pentagon said on Monday, in ongoing operations that mark the opening of a new, far more complicated front in a battle against the militants.
Britain's Prince William, grandson of Queen Elizabeth, and his wife Kate are expecting their second baby, Buckingham Palace said on Monday.
Dozens of bodies were scattered around the smouldering wreckage of a passenger jet that crashed in a field in eastern Ukraine.
President Barack Obama paid tribute on Friday to U.S. veterans who 70 years ago stormed the beaches of northern France.
Almost 300 people were missing after a ferry capsized off South Korea on Wednesday, despite frantic rescue efforts involving coastguard vessels, fishing boats and helicopters, in what could be the country's biggest maritime disaster in over 20 years.
Russia's Winter Olympics got underway on Friday with a grandiose opening ceremony watched by President Vladimir Putin, who will be keen to calm fears of militant attacks and move on from a row over gay rights that has marred the buildup to the Games.
British authorities forced the Guardian newspaper to destroy material leaked by Edward Snowden, its editor has revealed, calling it a "pointless" move that would not prevent further reporting on U.S. and British surveillance programs.
The State Department warns U.S. citizens not to travel to Pakistan.
The infant will be known as "His Royal Highness Prince George of Cambridge."
Oddsmakers say George is the favorite for name of the baby who is third in line to the British royal throne.
Bookmakers in England say the favorites for the boy's name are James and George.
The U.S. launches a program for Afghan women.
Former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher has died from a stroke at age 87.
The Catholic Church has chosen its new pope after white smoke was seen billowing from the chimney of the Sistine Chapel.
Weeping and shouting, a sea of Hugo Chavez’s supporters paraded his coffin through the streets of Caracas on Wednesday in an emotional outpouring that could help his deputy win an election and keep his self-styled socialist revolution alive.
Read the latest national news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, GA and albanyherald.com
- First U.S. Ebola case confirmed
- Eric Holder leaving U.S. attorney general post
- U2 releases new album for free on iTunes
- 'All clear' at U.S. Army's Fort Lee in Virginia after report of shooter
- U.S. Sen. Saxby Chambliss urges White House to declassify info on exchanged Gitmo prisoners | VIDEO & POLL
- U.S. Rep. Sanford Bishop concerned over potential impact of new carbon emission rules
- Florida commuter accused of shutting down motorists' cell phones
- Two inmates killed, 100-150 inmates and guards hurt in North Florida jail explosion
- Georgia congressional delegation reacts to debt ceiling vote
- Affordable Care Act luncheon focuses on business impact
Southwest Georgia government news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Rabbitman principal defaulted on past city loan
- Dougherty County official calls for Sunday voting
- Gloria Gaines takes most biting shots at pipeline, government officials
- Public forum offers Dougherty County community opportunity to discuss pipeline
- Downtown Albany stakeholder input sought during visioning meeting
- Lee County resident wants saggy pants ban
- Lane Landngs wins Award of Excellence from Albany mayor
- Albany's utilities commission to move forward with construction of water tower
- Lee County Commission renews contract with county manager, including pay raise
- Albany's Jon Howard, Dougherty County's John Hayes host pipeline meetings
Read the latest Georgia news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, GA and albanyherald.com
- Marcus Foundation gives $30 million to Grady Health System
- Doctors: Electronic health records a good idea that needs improvement
- Aging in Place
- Use of antipsychotic drugs cut in nursing homes
- Woman shoots dead mother of newborn in Georgia to steal her baby
- Four from Ga. charged after allegedly failing to get help for dying friend
- Enterovirus D68 outbreak documented in Georgia
- Albany Area News Briefs - Sept. 24, 2014
- Capitol Votes by Georgia delegation -- week of Sept. 15, 2014
- Candidate says attorney general soft on corruption