Dozens of bodies were scattered around the smouldering wreckage of a passenger jet that crashed in a field in eastern Ukraine.
President Barack Obama paid tribute on Friday to U.S. veterans who 70 years ago stormed the beaches of northern France.
Almost 300 people were missing after a ferry capsized off South Korea on Wednesday, despite frantic rescue efforts involving coastguard vessels, fishing boats and helicopters, in what could be the country's biggest maritime disaster in over 20 years.
Russia's Winter Olympics got underway on Friday with a grandiose opening ceremony watched by President Vladimir Putin, who will be keen to calm fears of militant attacks and move on from a row over gay rights that has marred the buildup to the Games.
British authorities forced the Guardian newspaper to destroy material leaked by Edward Snowden, its editor has revealed, calling it a "pointless" move that would not prevent further reporting on U.S. and British surveillance programs.
The State Department warns U.S. citizens not to travel to Pakistan.
The infant will be known as "His Royal Highness Prince George of Cambridge."
Oddsmakers say George is the favorite for name of the baby who is third in line to the British royal throne.
Bookmakers in England say the favorites for the boy's name are James and George.
The U.S. launches a program for Afghan women.
Former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher has died from a stroke at age 87.
The Catholic Church has chosen its new pope after white smoke was seen billowing from the chimney of the Sistine Chapel.
Weeping and shouting, a sea of Hugo Chavez’s supporters paraded his coffin through the streets of Caracas on Wednesday in an emotional outpouring that could help his deputy win an election and keep his self-styled socialist revolution alive.
As the world rang in 2013 with spectacular fireworks displays and showers of confetti, the specter of economic uncertainty and searing violence dimmed some festivities and weighed on the minds of revelers hoping for a better year.
Palace says Prince William, Duchess of Cambridge expecting a baby.
Read the latest national news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, GA and albanyherald.com
- U.S. Sen. Saxby Chambliss urges White House to declassify info on exchanged Gitmo prisoners | VIDEO & POLL
- U.S. Rep. Sanford Bishop concerned over potential impact of new carbon emission rules
- Florida commuter accused of shutting down motorists' cell phones
- Two inmates killed, 100-150 inmates and guards hurt in North Florida jail explosion
- Georgia congressional delegation reacts to debt ceiling vote
- Affordable Care Act luncheon focuses on business impact
- Capitol lockdown is lifted
- Rep. Sanford Bishop issues statement in regard to shutdown
- Rep. Austin Scott wants to hold Congress' salaries during shutdown
- New delays hit Obamacare rollout before October 1 launch
Southwest Georgia government news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Dougherty County commissioners discuss concerns about local-level business participation in projects
- Lee County must tackle SPLOST shortfall issue
- Albany Public Works' Roberson elevated to assistant city manager
- Darrel Ealum upsets Rep. Carol Fullerton in Georgia House 153 runoff
- Dougherty Commission OKs out-of-county solid waste at landfill
- Albany City Commissioner Tommie Postell a lightning rod for controversy
- Juvenile justice grant funds Functional Family Therapy Program
- Albany City Commission OKs multimodal proposal
- Albany City Manager James Taylor resigns; Tom Berry named interim
- Questions linger as Albany city manager ponders future
Read the latest Georgia news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, GA and albanyherald.com
- Georgia back-to-school sales tax-free weekend starts Friday
- State of Georgia says it is hard at work on Medicaid backlog
- Gas pump prices continue summer drop
- Jury selection starts in 2009 peanut salmonella outbreak case
- Georgia Business Briefs - July 29, 2014
- Dollar Tree to buy Family Dollar for $8.5 billion
- Georgia man killed in Florida beach plane crash on wedding anniversary
- Statewide races in Georgia shape up for November
- Exchange subsidies draw conflicting federal court rulings
- Ga. man dies after collapsing during argument with teen