CONYERS — With an unexpected "school vacation," event cancellations and local facilities altering their hours of operation, parents of nearly 36,000 Newton and Rockdale county students may be concerned about what to do with their children for the next two weeks.
Newton County and Rockdale County schools both confirmed Friday, after receiving recommendation from Gov. Brian Kemp, that all school functions will be postponed starting Monday, March 16 to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus. This includes normal school hours, sporting events, extra-curriculars and all other activities.
Rockdale students are set to have Independent Learning Days while Newton County principals and schools will be sending out information regarding continued learning opportunities for students in the near future and will continue to post information about COVID-19 on their websites.
So what are parents supposed to do with all their child's free time?
When they aren't busy doing school work, here are some creative ideas to keep them busy without having them glued to their phone or television screens.
Indoor scavenger huntUpdated
Board game tournamentsUpdated
At-home science experimentsUpdated
Complete a puzzleUpdated
Write a letter to familyUpdated
Impromptu magic showUpdated
Family spring cleaningUpdated
Family yoga and meditationUpdated
DIY Escape RoomUpdated
DIY movie nightUpdated
- Greg Zyla More Content Now
- More Content Now
Running out of activities at home for the kids? Download and print these activity sheets for the kids to enjoy at home anytime.
As featured on
Experts agree that periods of economic downturn, or recessions, are unavoidable and often fo…
- Former police officer Derek Chauvin set to be sentenced for the murder of George Floyd
- California school board passes anti-racism resolution after tortilla-throwing incident at basketball game
- Good morning! It's Friday, June 25, 2021.
- Surgeon General warns misinformation is the greatest threat to Covid-19 vaccination efforts
- Albany City Commission approves budget as protesters chant outside
- Dr. Robert McCollum Buntin
- Georgia may be next in line for insurance billing paybacks
- Robert L. "Bobby" Hinman
- Dougherty County park renovation celebrated with ribbon-cutting
- Albany officials seek input on streetscape improvements
- Paddle Georgia takes to Flint for post-COVID river adventure
- Tornado watch extended for Southwest Georgia including Dougherty and Lee Counties
- Supreme Court sides with high school cheerleader who cursed online
- Robert "Bob" Parker
- PHOTOS: Phoebe residency program welcomes 8 new doctors
- ON THE MARKET: Lee County home features sunroom, workshop, built-in bookcases
- PHOTOS: Barber Shop Talk – Men's Health Fair at Albany State University
- PHOTOS: Watermelon Festival Hot Air Balloons 2021
- Counties with the biggest primary health care worker shortages
- 12 KIDS... that's nuts! 10 movies to watch this Father's Day
- Comparing minimum wage to the cost of living in every state
- ON THE MARKET: Moultrie home on 5 acres of land features crown molding, gazebo and pond
- PHOTOS: Southern Company Celebrating HBCUs at the College Football Hall of Fame
- PHOTOS: 2021 Ties That Bind luncheon at Phoebe Putney
This is not a scientific poll — results reflect only the opinions of those voting.